1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon FD 28-85 / 4.0

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Nov 11, 2013.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I prefer Canon FD lenses on my NEX-7...looking at a clean used zoom...and wondered if anyone has any first hand experience with this specific zoom ?

2. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, no comments so guess I'll try it blind...supposedly in mint condition and looks it.
    The 28-85/4.0 was built back during the same era of Canon FD quality that produced the zooms I already have and they've been outstanding for my use outdoors with nature / wildlife shots:
    35-105/3.5
    50-135/3.5
    70-150/4.5
    70-210/4.0

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I've had a few in this range, but not this one.

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    With additional general Internet searching, I found a number of comments / results that were very high on the Canon FD 28-85 (and the 35-105 which I recently picked up) suggesting "L" lens IQ from that pair which were designed / made at the same time...large 72mm front element, constant aperture, etc. I've already seen what the 35-105 will do and now assume the 28-85 will be equally as good...will know before long. Ordered a Skylight filter and hood for it yesterday.

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    The FD 28-85 arrived and unfortunately it's defective...something loose inside clunking around and being returned...but I had it in my hands long enough to try it and know I like it / still want one.
    My good fortune is that a seller who regularly deals with camera equipment that I've bought from before, just listed one he rated at "Excellent +" so I'll try that one...be here in a couple days.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    2nd Canon FD 28-85/4.0 arrived yesterday...looks and feels absolutely brand new...if it works half as good as it looks, it'll be a winner.

7. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Hopefully this one is a good one.

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Certainly seems to be.

PS:
    The seller for the first / defective one started trying to weasel out of his responsibility...had to escalate him to the EBay Resolution Center...now, not only does he have to make a full refund, but has to reimbursed me for the return shipping costs as well. Sometimes life is good...LOL

9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes, this lens is a good one...have shot a few not-so-photogenic-items just for basic function testing.
    Then shot a video of a lone wild turkey walking through the woods while I was out deer hunting.
    First serious video attempt on the NEX-7 and was very pleased at how well it turned out.
    Will actually need a longer zoom for wildlife but in terms of pure testing, this 28-85 did a great job.

Ironically, one of the most annoying things about the NEX-7 was the location of the Video button, which results in a lot of inadvertent triggering of the video function.
    So I installed one of those simple "Guard" rings to prevent inadvertent triggering...(and it works great by the way)...but it works so good that I had to experiment with fingertips to finally get the video button pressed to start then stop it...may have to grow a "video fingernail" LOL.

But at any rate, the 28-85mm seems to be a great zoom.