1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Canon FD 28 2.0....

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Deadbear77, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Just picked one up relatively cheap. Anyone with experience on this lens?

Mine is very beat up on the outside but glass is great. Focus ring is loose and sticks at certain points.

2. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    I have never used it, but I am very interested in it. Been looking at some of the fast options in FD primes recently. If I can get over an unexplained aversion to Canon FD glass I might add a few of the faster ones to my stable. Dont ask me to explain the aversion, I cant. Im just not terribly fond of breech mounts or pseudo breech mounts. And the better lenses (the later ones) are all plastic, although they are made of a very high quality poly carbonate.

I would be interested in seeing your results from this lens on the A7.

3. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I don't think I've ever seen a plastic FD lens. Do you know which ones are?

4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I have a plastic, Polly FD 50 1.4 and it's impeccable.

5. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    By 'the later ones' I mean the later FD lenses, which are referred to as FDn. I believe they are all plastic. Dont know if you missed the obvious there or if you are just being pedantic and splitting hairs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013

I had the same lens Deadbear, its quite lovely and a great performer. I have many, many times regretted selling it.

7. MAubrey

I honestly didn't know there were any plastic ones. I've never seen one. Granted I've only used three FDn's: 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.2L, and 135mm f/2. But they were all entirely metal except for the rubber grip on the focusing helicoid.

8. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    Mike, Im pretty sure all or almost all the FDn lenses were polycarbonate. I know for sure the 50/1.8 is. And the 50/1.4 as well, as confirmed by Deadbear in the above post. A quick search online showed up some other common lenses that were as well, like the 28/2.8. I cant believe that to many of the lenses would be metal if the 50/1.4 was plastic. Of course, the 'L' lenses might be a different story, I forgot about those.

Granted, its probably easy to be fooled by the lenses. Canon used a very high quality polycarbonate that in some ways mimics metal.

Another interesting fact, many people believe the Canon A-1 is metal when it is in fact not. The camera is plastic, but Canon used some kind of thin metal coating over the plastic body to make it seem metal. Even when the camera strap rubs against the body you will get that classic 'bronzing' look when the paint starts to wear off. But go down a few millimeters more and the plastic shows thru.

The older FD lenses are a different story. Metal thru and thru those are.

9. MAubrey

That is fascinating. I only had the 50mm for a few days (I really needed that bearing). The 135mm and the 85 are certainly both metal. I had to completely disassemble the 135mm to clear fungus out of the inner elements when I got it and scratched a good bit of paint off a few parts and when I converted the 85mm to EF mount (EdMika kit) I accidentally took more apart than I intended and it took three days to figure out how to get it back together.

Though now that I think about it, I could see the ring beneath of mount that the aperture ring connects to being polycarbonate. That little piece was lighter than I expected it to be...

10. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    Hmmm, thats interesting. You are talking about the FDn (new FD lenses) right? Not just the older FD lenses?

Oh, and here is a good site for all things FD. Lists all the FD and FL lenses by series with some nice writeups. Of course if you shoot a lot of FD lenses then you are probably aware of it.

http://www.canonclassics.com/

11. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
  12. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I tested the FDn 28/2 against a bunch of lenses here. It is really superb on APS-C - surprisingly close to the Sigma 30/2.8 but with a stop advantage and FF-capable, so I'm curious to know how it performs on FF. Mine had a chip on the front glass so I sold it relatively cheap (still at a profit hehe). I've never found it since at the same price I originally got mine though ... about $80. I don't think they go for less than $200 on Ebay now.