1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Canon FD 200mm F4 Macro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Austrokiwi, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi TalkEmount Regular

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    I have only had this lens for 8 weeks. Its become my second favorite Macro: Camera A7r with Novoflex adapter

Jumpingspidercloseup_zpsb8e3cc13.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Looks good. What's the working distance? About 15-18 inches?

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looking good

4. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi TalkEmount Regular

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    If I have my metric to imperial conversion correct that's right; Its was just over half a metre at 1-1. I have to say when looking through the view finder with the focus magnification on I was glad of the distance!!! LOL

5. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  6. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Good stuff ! They are an impressive lens...

• Like Like x 1
  7. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    • Like Like x 3
  8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow, great additions Brian!!! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Got this lens last weekend and I really like it. The perspective of a 200mm lens for close-up works well for me and the large working distance even at 1:1 (0.58m) is just very convenient, as is the ability to focus continually from infinity to 1:1. And not unimportantly, image quality is quite good although not on the same level as e.g. a Minolta MD Macro 100mm 1:4.

And this is what I intend to use it for: photographing the smaller lenses in my collection. When I want to picture a larger lens like a 300mm I use a 100mm lens.
    i-kNC6Mwg-X3.

i-m6RTwdL-X3.

i-n45Zrr4-X3.

I use this test target for evaluating lenses in close-up situations. It is positioned in such a way that the lower left and upper right corners are in focus. This is much more telling than using a flat target perpendicular to the optical axis; in that case you often get unsharp corners due to curvature of field, and IMHO curvature of field is not that important for rendering three-dimensional subjects, it's more important that the lens is able to form a sharp image somewhere in the frame. A lens without curvature of field should be sharp in the centre, you can see here that this lens is sharpest above the centre, thus showing that it doesn't have a perfectly flat focus plane but corner sharpness is quite good even here at its widest aperture of f/4.
    You can see some bokeh fringing: there's a magenta tinge below the optimum sharpness region and a green tinge above it. Bokeh is a bit nervous too, well visible in the upper left and lower right corner.
    i-pDrRSVN-X3.

This is at f/11. Bokeh fringing is gone and bokeh is less nervous. I think this is the optimal aperture for best general image quality, although I usually stop down to f/16 for more depth of field. Even f/22 is still useable though general contrast decreases visibly; f/32 isn't looking good anymore.
    i-Qtz3THV-X3.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    They may be mere tools to some of us, Ad. But in your hands they're instruments. And I mean that in both the musical and clinical definitions of the word. :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1