1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Canon FD 200mm / 4.0 MACRO Lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by roundball, Jul 10, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    There's an old saying about good things come to those who wait...I found a like new Canon FD 200 / 4.0 Macro Lens in Germany / EBay.
    Responded to my specific questions about its condition in writing via EBay's Email system, and it has a 14 day return policy.
    A little pricey with supply & demand being what it is, but it’s like new, low risk, and should be top notch.
    Be here in a week or so and I'll run out to the Arboretum again and put it through it's paces on various flowers, etc.

• Like Like x 8
  2. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Looks awesome. Interesting that it comes with the mount. I got the 200mm F2.8 (not macro) that does not have it but then again its internal focus and rather small.
    Lets see some pics! :D

3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes, surprisingly the FD 200 / 2.8 wasn't designed with a built in tripod collar like the 200 macro and all the FD IF teles (300mm / 400mm / 500mm, etc)...and no place on the 200 / 2.8's barrel to even add an after market collar that I could ever see.

The tripod collar design on the 200 Macro was probably driven both from it's weight, and the need for strong stability in precision close-up detail work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Yes indeed, that does make sense. I do love how IF feels btw. I wish all my lenses had that, just feels so accurate and easy to get where you want.

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I use the tripod mount on the adapter pretty religiously for my 60mm & 100mm macros - looks like the mount on this lens is a real good idea. Congratulations on the acquisition!

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Feel like a kid at Christmas...been a long 13 days but USPS Tracking finally showed it arrived at my PO during the night and is planned for delivery today...so I should be testing by mid-afternoon.

7. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    hahaha I know the feeling like when I get the delivered message at work! :D

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Amen! I'm planning to go to the local flower garden tomorrow and really wring Out the close Up function

9. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    looking forward to your pics! :)

10. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Excellent long macro lens that goes all the way to 1:1 by itself. I also got one recently, and am very happy with mine. Will add some sample pictures to a show case thread soon. I used the lens with a monopod.

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That's a fancy looking lens. Can't wait to see what you are able to do with it.

12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Canon FD 200/4.0 Macro arrived this afternoon.
    In spite of being surprisingly borderline poorly packed to travel from Germany to the US, it seemed to make it OK.
    Cosmetically, exactly as it appears in the photos above...virtually new / perfect condition.
    Functionally, everything seems to work OK.
    IQ is incredible, seems like “L” quality IQ to me.

I took a bunch of shots just using it as a 200mm tele at whatever happened to be in view in the back yard, from the occasional bird to foliage, from 20 feet to 50 yards to just check basic functions and so far so good. Planning to take it for a walk tomorrow at a local University Arboretum and get into the close-up Macro aspect of it on things like flowers, see how it does at that.

Here are a couple examples using it as a regular 200mm tele out through the kitchen window:
    NEX-7, Manual Mode, Spot Metering, elbows braced on window sill:

• Like Like x 5
  13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Some additional test shots just now as a 200mm tele...due to T-storms / rain, not sure I can get to the Arboretum today to wring out the Macro side...may have to be tomorrow.

• Like Like x 4
  14. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I did manage to get out to the University Arboretum before the thunderstorms started rolling in and was able to test Macro capabilities of that FD 200/4.0 Macro lens that just arrived.
    Biggest immediate benefit was the convenience of being able to stand off a few / several feet to take close-up shots...which also allowed the ability to take shots I would otherwise have had to pass up because stepping into the several feet deep flower beds is not allowed.
    Rather than load up a bunch of example photos on the forum, I set up 17 example shots in a slideshow on Photobucket...I'm pleased at the results as a 200mm tele, and as a macro lens.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rou...072414 Arboretum Slideshow FD200 Macro?sort=9

• Like Like x 2
  15. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Nice Collection there!
    I still got my Olympus one but I am going to try my FD 50 with the 25 adapter and stacking to see if I can get the hand of that process. This thread got me interested in Macros again :D

16. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    It really is a whole subset of photography, sort of a world of it own.

There are 3 Canon FD Macro lenses and they are all outstanding.
    50/3.5, 100/4.0, and 200/4.0

The FD 50 & 100 Macros are pretty reasonably priced, and relatively easy to find.
    Good clean used FD 200's...not so much...hard to find and pricey...supply & demand I guess.

Was lucky to stumble across this 200...it literally seems like it just came off the manufacturing line.
    And after initial trials I'm pretty sure it'll be one of those lenses that is the last to go if / when I start winding down this hobby.

• Like Like x 1
  17. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA