1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Canon FD 200mm 2.8 not focusing to infinity. Help please.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Jul 16, 2014.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hi!
    I finally went out to fully test my new lenses since I also got a Canon FD 2x extender and noticed that the 200mm is not focusing to infinity so I thought it was because of the extender but then I tried with a basic FD to NEX adapter and with the Lens Turbo 2 and either way, I am not able to focus to infinity. Is like just a so close but cannot get there which is very frustrating as I love the rendering on that lens even for portraits.
    Any ideas? :)

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, my guess is it's your adapter. I have had a few adapters that wouldn't allow focus to infinity with some legacy lenses. If the problem were that it focused beyond infinity, you could shim it. But not reaching infinity is a more difficult problem. Nothing to do but send it back and try another brand, I'm afraid.

3. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Darn it but it happens with both basic adapter and lens turbo 2 so that is what bugs me and only that one lens of all my canon ones. :/

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, the lenses that I've experienced these sorts of problems with have always been the longer ones. Wide angle lenses seem to be much more forgiving. :(

5. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    To make it more painful my 70-210 works fine and so does my 120-600mm but the one I wanted it to work more than any other is the one with the problem. :/

6. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    take the lens and camera to a technician and see if it can be adjusted , many times such lenses can be adjusted to give infinity !!

7. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Yes just did that so we took care of the issue. The seller was a class act about this so no problem. :)

8. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I've had an FD in the past (24mm f/2) that had the same issue. It would focus shy of infinity and it was not the adapter. Mine would focus to about 10m. Adapters usually let you focus a little bit past infinity. Some canon lenses have a stop plate that you can move to adjust the infinity focus but this usually requires removing the from elements.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-161.html

This was for a 50mm 1.4 breech lens. It may or may not help.

• Like Like x 1