Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM with Commlite as cheapo alternative to Batis..anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Jan 31, 2016.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hello all!

So since I have the FE 55mm and then the awesome Samyang 135mm F2, I am not so sure an 85mm is really a lens I need that much so as I just got a Commlite adapter for $40 like new, I was wondering if the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM could be a nice alternative and how much better the Batis or a Sigma will be compared to it.
    Anyone has tried both side by side by any chance?

Thanks!

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I used 85mm on the lower resolution Canon 5D/40D's. It was a good lens, eg comparable to Canon 135mm except it was showing purple fringing. It might be a good small lens option. I sold the 85/135 and replaced with 100mm which is a similar lens also. I don't know how they will be on the higher resolution cameras eg it is old design from film times. Here is comparison of 85mm lenses on the 50MP Canon sensor:
    Best 85mm Prime: Carl Zeiss Apo Planar T* Otus 85mm f/1.4 ZE | DxOMark
    vs photozone review on 20MP sensor:
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM (full format) - Review / Lab Test Report - Analysis

Batis/Sigma are sharper lenses with newer designs and Batis has more contrast and punchier colors with Zeiss coatings.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Maybe I should just get a 70-200 F2.8 which is likely the main reason I got the EF adapter for. The 85mm option just came to my mind today. :D
    Thanks for the info.

4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 1
  5. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I am going to go with the Tarmon for sure although maybe just the first version IF I can test that it works with my Commlite and is not horrible wide open....unless I just pick the top one and be happy with it. :D

6. BrorSvensson

BrorSvensson TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Here's a great video about it from my favorite lens reviewer.