Canon 70-200mm L F4 - Strange flaring?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jonwood10, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Jonwood10

Jonwood10 TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 17, 2014
    I bought a used Canon 70-200mm from a forum about a week ago. It was an attractive deal as the previous owner had been using the lens on an A7ii (as I would be) so it came with a Canon to e mount adapter which I knew from the sellers description it was not going to be a Metabones, rather just one of the cheaper alternatives, Xcsource as it happens.

A few days later I went to Chatsworth House with the family for a day and took the lens for it's first outing, and here is the strange bit. It was a very bright sunny day but had left the lens hood at home by mistake. As I was taking pictures I could see flaring under certain angles which as you'll see in the image below. This one has a band running along the length of the image near the bottom.

When I got back home I tried repeated shots using the lens hood and without - it didn't really make much difference. I did also take a 30 sec exposure at f4 max iso to test and see if there is light leaking from either the mount or adapter, which there isn't.

From reading online the possible cause could be reflected light internally in the adapter, which is something I'm going to look into.

Anybody with experience using this adapter or lens or indeed any comment would be appreciated!

DSC00649.JPG

2. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    I don't have this adapter but this is definitely the internal reflection. Two options:
    1. Get a Sigma MC-11
    2. Get a can of flat black spray paint to DIY, remember covering the metal contacts before painting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I have a Canon 70-200L f4 lens I use on my A7R2 with a Fotodiox adapter and have no issues at all.
    I've no suggestions for your problem.

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    It does look like internal reflections based on the random drop in contrast in areas of the frame. Paul says he doesn't see it in his Fotodiox. That's great and I can't argue with his results, but I also have the Fotodiox and it certainly can have internal reflection issues under certain circumstances, so if you decide to replace your adapter, I can't recommend Fotodiox. It is an older design and doesn't have the flocking or flat black interior like the newer adapters. I would go with the Sigma MC-11 or MB IV (early MB adapters had the reflection issues too).

5. Jonwood10

Jun 17, 2014
    Thanks both for your replies, pretty much as I expected!

I'm going to try applying a completely matt self adhesive 'velvet' film which I have at work, It's got the same texture at the inside surface of the lens hood, hopefully that will do the trick.

6. Jonwood10

Jun 17, 2014
    Thanks Gary.

The Fotodiox and Xcsource fall in the same bracket cost and performance wise by the looks of it, and while I have no issue with the clunky focus I'll need to address the reflection.

I'll try the material later and see if it helps.

7. Jonwood10

Jun 17, 2014
    Update: Applied the film tonight with a massive improvement, hopefully sorted it. The testing continues!

• Like Like x 2