1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Canon 50mm F0.95 "Dream Lens"

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dbmiller, Apr 25, 2012.

1. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    My dream is about to come true. Just waiting on the M adapter to try it out...
    Canon50mmF0.95.JPG

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Oh, maaaannn!! You do realize that looking at your lens is torture for the rest of us?!??

Haha, congrats dbmiller! :eek:

Can't wait for your sample pics... :) :)

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Sweet lens! I had one briefly but had to return to sender because of some nasty element separation. Looking forward to your pictures!

4. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Heh... That thing is going to dwarf the 5n. Not only need pictures from it, need pictures of it while on the camera! :cool:

5. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Anything less would be unacceptable, lol! :)

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    I've held one before. It's a monster sized lens.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Thats one sweeeeeeeet piece of glass!!

8. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    Wow! Looking forward to pics like the rest of the group.

9. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    we are ansioso por ver los resultados y las grandes photos, from the nex5n and this lens

10. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    I'm old enough to remember this lens the first time around. It was intended to be used with the Canon 7,...as I remember it was designed for a specific job and was never that successful and results were not that nice when I used that combination. In addition, it was mechanically 'challenged' and both the lens mount and the camera suffered screw loosening. Canon invented a dual mount for this lens but the experiment was not successful enough for it to continue.

11. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I can imagine. The 7 was still an LTM camera. But this big honkin' f0.95 lens would put a strain on the threads, and the lens dwarfed the mount point. Even then, the lens being so heavy, if you turned the focus to the end, all that weight would probably start to turn the lens off the camera. So instead of a thread mount they added a bayonet type mount, and the original lenses have a set of tabs on either side that need to be hooked into the camera, which added stability, and kept the lens from twisting. But the lens could only be used on the 7 series. They did also make a TV version of the lens.

This lens has been converted to M-mount already, and appears to still have the RF coupling (But not 6-bit encoded). I don't have an M-mount RF camera to test that part out. I'd take it to the local camera store, but they don't let you try out the Leica's in the store like you can with the other cameras. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

So I await my Hawk's adapter with bated breath. I looked at the other M-mount adapters, including the cheaper helicoid clones. But with the f0.95 being so big, I thought I'd better go with the adapter that has the extended tab when dealing with close focusing. I ordered both the adapter and a cheap-o lens cap last week (Can't believe the guy didn't have a lens cap on this when he shipped it). Both had an earliest estimated arrival of the end of next week :( However, the cap arrived today, so maybe the adapter won't take as long either.

12. Bolampau

Bolampau TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    A friend at work tried to sell me his dad's 7 camera and this lens. As soon as I saw the lens my eyes lit up BUT the front element was horribly scratched so I turned it down. Apparently his father was a photojournalist a long time ago and wasn't precious about looking after his camera gear. :(

Anyway, I hope the adaptor arrives quickly and I'm looking forward to seeing the Bokeh from your lens!

Cheers,
    Paul

13. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Got a note from the Post Office that I have a package I need to sign for. Looks like I get to pick up the adapter tomorrow morning! Yay!!

14. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Bad news. The lens won't mount on the adapter. Haven't figured out what's going on just yet. I doubt it's the adapter, but you never know.

15. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I wish you luck and hope it is the adapter, we are all looking forward to some pictures with this lens legend ....

16. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    OK... Here's what I think I have figured out. Helps to have a picture of an unmodified lens...

ebay30426.JPG

The inside barrel of the lens has four little "tabs" that appear to go inside of the 39mm LTM opening of the Canon 7/7s/7sz cameras they were originally designed for. The outer bayonet locked onto the lens mount ring on the camera.

What I was seeing was those four little tabs hitting the edge of the adapter. I took both the lens and the adapter to a local camera store that occasionally has some Leica gear, to see if they had either an M-mount lens, or a body I could try it on. They had neither. But they did have a M-mount->MFT adapter, and my lens wouldn't mount on it either.

I was looking around the net for adapted f0.95 lenses, and some seem to still have that ring with the four tabs and some don't. So they don't appear to be necessary. I was wondering if I could possibly grind them down, or cut them off, but the odds of doing that and not ruining the back element didn't sound very good. If I had the tools and knowledge to disassemble the lens and work on that individual part, maybe.

But if the adapter is mimicking the original mount, perhaps the tabs on my lens are just a little too far out. So I wonder if the safest fix is to take a pair of needle-nosed pliers and bend the tabs in to clear the opening on the adapter. I will give that a try when I get a chance this week. So little time for the fun stuff... sigh.

17. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I wouldn't bend, grind, or modify anything on that lens just yet!

Is your Canon adapter an "FD" adapter? Reason I ask is because that lens looks like an FD mount...

18. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    No - It's definitely an M-mount. The bayonet dropped in right where it should, but it just wouldn't go in deep enough to allow the bayonet to turn and lock on. I could also see where two of tabs were slightly inside the edge and scraped against the adapter. The other two are just inside the edge. It's hard to tilt the adapter once the bayonet slides in, but I looks like the tabs would go inside the mount if they were a mm or less closer to the lens.

19. Bolampau

Bolampau TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    That's such a classic lens that I'd be tempted to take it to a camera repair shop and get them to fix it!
    Cheers,
    Paul

20. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Classic indeed! I just about fell off my chair when I saw how much these lenses are selling for!! :eek: