• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Showcase Canon 50mm f/1.4 FD

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Critique please...
DSC02253_zpscfopjyex.jpg
NEX-F3       0mm    f/1.0    1/60s    ISO 1000
DSC02237_zpsr3besumw.jpg
NEX-F3       0mm    f/1.0    1/60s    ISO 320

DSC02206_zpsps51ilfm.jpg
NEX-F3       0mm    f/1.0    1/80s    ISO 200

DSC02197_zpsh4jnqld9.jpg
NEX-F3       0mm    f/1.0    1/125s    ISO 200
These are lovely! I like #2 the best ;)

ztryfe

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Vic
Everyone here is so good, I've been coming to these forums for over a year without being brave enough to post anything of my own! My friend's cat is so calm and colorful that I really enjoy the photos I get of him. I really love this lens even if I'm slow with the manual focus.

With those results, I would encourage you to post more, seems like you have a keen eye, number 2 is great!

Electric Shepherd

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Ben

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
after having this lens for m43 for about 10 years now its nice to be able to see what it does on FF

DSC04569.jpg
ILCE-7    ---    0mm    f/0    1/200s    ISO 3200

tjdean01

TalkEmount Regular
Just got the A7ii after saving up for a long time and waiting for the price to come down. I have all my vintage lenses but only the 24-70mm kit with autofocus. That stayed on the camera no more than 5 minutes before I started adding the smaller, faster primes. I only have the Canon FD adapter and so far I've only put these on: 24/2.8, 28/1.8, 85/1.8, and now the 50/1.4. And wow! 50mm is the right FL for me and this camera, I feel like. And I like the older Canon because it's small vs the newer Sony 55/1.8 or even the 50/1.8. I've never really shot FF before and the benefits over M43s are obvious. I don't know how to monkey with many of the settings in the Sony yet but it's doing a good job in the low light conditions I was presented with (no PP on any of these):

Chairs sm.jpg
   ---            
Table.jpg
   ---            
Hotel A7ii sm.jpg
   ---            

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
Just got the A7ii after saving up for a long time and waiting for the price to come down. I have all my vintage lenses but only the 24-70mm kit with autofocus. That stayed on the camera no more than 5 minutes before I started adding the smaller, faster primes. I only have the Canon FD adapter and so far I've only put these on: 24/2.8, 28/1.8, 85/1.8, and now the 50/1.4. And wow! 50mm is the right FL for me and this camera, I feel like. And I like the older Canon because it's small vs the newer Sony 55/1.8 or even the 50/1.8. I've never really shot FF before and the benefits over M43s are obvious. I don't know how to monkey with many of the settings in the Sony yet but it's doing a good job in the low light conditions I was presented with (no PP on any of these):

View attachment 98200 View attachment 98201 View attachment 98202

It's a great fifty! You're going to love shooting your nFD glass on the A7II.
Some suggestions on settings to maximize your a7II experience....here's how I've settled on my A7II for manual lenses:

Focus peaking enabled, and minimum setting. Choose the color of your preference. I like red, others find yellow better for them.
Focus Magnification Assist enabled. Timing unlimited. Assign this feature to either C1 or C2 for quick access next to the shutter button. Allows you to fine tune focus in low contrast and to confirm focus peaking on the desired subject.
Zebra enabled. Set to 100+. Will inform your exposure has stepped over 100% and highlights are beginning to blow out.
I've assigned IBIS focal length selection to C3 to handily change the focal length as I change lenses or zoom. Depending which of C1 or C2 was previously assigned, the remaining button get assigned IBIS on/off. This is when I don't need to have IBIS. (ie. high shutter speeds in bright light, zooming a manual zoom lens too often, or using a tripod.)

Hope that helps to get you started.

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
The sharpness and bokeh of NFD 50/1.4 are the reasons it's been with me since...forever. I love this lens!
Both shot at f/1.4.

DSC00389-Edit.jpg
ILCE-7M2    ----       f/1.0    1/250s    ISO 100

DSC00005-2.jpg
ILCE-7M2    ----       f/1.0    1/500s    ISO 1600

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
@tjdean01 : Have you found a decent FD to E adapter that allows smooth operation of the aperture ring? I have the FD 28/2.8 and the aperture ring is very stiff when mounted to the adapter, but not stiff by itself.

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
@tjdean01 : Have you found a decent FD to E adapter that allows smooth operation of the aperture ring? I have the FD 28/2.8 and the aperture ring is very stiff when mounted to the adapter, but not stiff by itself.
this could be because when an FD lens is not mounted the aperture ring does not actually connect to anything (or operate the iris).

I have a number of FD adapters (some for m43, some for E) and I also have the nFD24f2.8, almost every adapter I've had is satisfactory (some better made than the others) and no adapter I've used makes any difference to the operation of the aperture ring on any FD lens I have. When you say "very stiff" what reference do you have? For example if you've only used OM lenses they have a very different feel. Also the FD's are getting old now and I believe are showing their age.

Last edited:

Ad Dieleman

Amateur
I'm pretty sure it's an issue in your lens, I guess that moving the diaphragm leaves is stiff. Without an adapter, the diaphragm leaves won't move at all or just a little, that may make the difference. I have a number of Canon FD adapters and I've had some 6 Canon FD lenses and I've never had a problem like you describe.

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
Ok, originally mis-listed, now after double checking (attempting to rephotograph, despite terrible light) and checking against the other shots in that same folder I am more confident that this is the right spot for this image
dsc04802-02-jpeg.jpg
ILCE-7    ---    NANmm    f/NAN    1/2000s    ISO 160

Latest threads

Top Bottom