Showcase Canon 50mm f/1.4 FD

cvt01

TalkEmount Regular
What is a good adapter for FD lenses? I just can't believe I have to drop $100 for a metal ring made by metabones but I read some bad reviews about the cheap ones...

Deadbear77

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Kevin
I use all cheap ones. I have 1 for every fd Lens I have. I've only had trouble with 1 cheap adapter. Usually get on eBay from China.

greywater

TalkEmount Regular
Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

Handsome and capable.

Turkey prints.

WT21

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Nice. So for the next 20 years or so you know what you have a camera for :).
Not quite 20 years, at least in my experience. They seem to stop willingly pose around puberty (and I don't blame them -- who wants pictures taken when you have out of control acne)

Not quite 20 years, at least in my experience. They seem to stop willingly pose around puberty (and I don't blame them -- who wants pictures taken when you have out of control acne)
Depends on the particular samples (kids I mean). Mine had a rejection period of a few years but now that they're over 20 they don't object anymore. Good pics for girlfriends are important :).

pvp_victor

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Vijay
Shots from a moving vehicle using Canon FD 50 / F1.4 Lens on NEX5R

The shot from a moving train (~ 100 to 120 kph speed) was in 2013 within a month of my receiving the lens (got it from the Bay for about USD 65-80). I did NOT know what hyper-focal distance was. As a result, about 90% shots were junk, with only 4 keepers (beginner's luck).

Below is a crop:

The one below is well below average even at 1/800sec :

Even after getting the FD 28mm F/3.5, I continued with the 50mm, because it is THE 50mm and thinking that a faster lens would give me faster shutter speed for shooting from a moving car. Again 90% shots were wasted. The one below was while travelling from Mumbai to Nashik (India), shot from a moving car at maybe 60-70 kph speed, in July 2014. Focussing to infinity (chuckle) I hoped to get the unique peaks (I have cropped unpleasant objects from the original shot).

Crop with PP :

The transmission lines .... How I wish I'd stopped the car and walked some distance. The one below was on the same day, same car, about 2 hours later. Again, some stuff were chucked away.

Crop below:

These were lucky shots, I would say. I kept persisting with the 50mm for some more time, before making my 28mm lenses (the Canon and the OM Zuiko 28mm F/2.8) as the default choice for shots from moving vehicles. Started getting plenty of good shots.

Last edited:

ChuKa

New to TalkEmount

Couple shots from the backyard with the A7

AlyssaB

New to TalkEmount
Everyone here is so good, I've been coming to these forums for over a year without being brave enough to post anything of my own! My friend's cat is so calm and colorful that I really enjoy the photos I get of him. I really love this lens even if I'm slow with the manual focus.

Taken with the Nex 6

SpaceManSpiff

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric
Everyone here is so good, I've been coming to these forums for over a year without being brave enough to post anything of my own! My friend's cat is so calm and colorful that I really enjoy the photos I get of him. I really love this lens even if I'm slow with the manual focus.

Taken with the Nex 6
AlyssaB, don't be shy...these are really nice kitty kat pictures (that also show some of the characteristics of this lens)! The first one is great. My dogs run around so much, the only sharp pictures I have of them are when they are sleeping. :doh: It's not like it is a contest to post on this forum --just share pictures that you are happy with, I'm sure that we would like them too!

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick

AlyssaB

New to TalkEmount
AlyssaB, don't be shy...these are really nice kitty kat pictures (that also show some of the characteristics of this lens)! The first one is great. My dogs run around so much, the only sharp pictures I have of them are when they are sleeping. :doh: It's not like it is a contest to post on this forum --just share pictures that you are happy with, I'm sure that we would like them too!
Thank you! Yeah my dogs are a little more difficult to get good pictures of with the manual focus :)

LowT3ch

New to TalkEmount
Real Name
Hector
Critique please...

Latest posts

Top Bottom