• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Showcase Canon 50mm f/1.4 FD

Hyubie

TalkEmount Rookie
Real Name
Herbert
First shots with C3

I only have the Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 for use with my C3 (not even native lens), but it's the first time I really had fun with manual focusing. I am planning to add a lens (or two!) soon. Here are some shots.

Love the focus peaking here!

Tried the camera + lens outside - I think this was on Vivid? Didn't notice that slight reddish cast on the face. Anyway, this was a quick edit. :smile:

Janne303

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Janne Eriksson
I like my canon 1.4

---            

izTheViz

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Yannis Marigo
Like mine too !!!
   ---            

Janne303

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Janne Eriksson
It also seems that CA is present some times hehe

---            

---            

Mathieu Decodts

TalkEmount Veteran
Here is a shot I took at a recent judo competition (one of my family's hobbies). I really like the subject separation at 1.4, picking out one trophy. No sure about the bokeh though. This is with the standard canon fd 1.4 but I have the super old chrome nose too. I think I prefer it despite it's weight, something more dreamy about it.

Attachments

dsiglin

TalkEmount Veteran
Hopefully this will be useful, just to show how sharp this lens can be wide open (compared to other 1.4 lenses) here's a 100% crop from a test shoot I just did.
   ---            

Here's the uncropped version, not original size.

---            

Mathieu Decodts

TalkEmount Veteran
Same lens stopped down to F4 and razor sharp hand held. I have two of them, the chrome nose I shot this with and a more "modern" 1.4. The chrome nose is my favourite but it weighs a ton, I got the newer one because it half the weight, but it's not so dreamy!

Attachments

Mathieu Decodts

TalkEmount Veteran
Was out tonight doing some planning for a big shoot in a few weeks, this was taken with the FD at f2 or so. Such lovely bokeh and colour rendition.

Attachments

Mathieu Decodts

TalkEmount Veteran
Basically going to put a model right here leaning on the rail, background will be intense and model will be silhouetted by colourful bokeh. I tried the same composition with a modern sigma lens and while it was sharper the bokeh was no where near as good. I think this is the best lens I own, just performs exactly how I want for portrait work :)

jrincon

New to TalkEmount
Real Name
Javi
My flowerpot

love the fd 50mm:cloud-9-039:
   ---            
   ---            

Top Bottom