Showcase Canon 50mm f/0.95 "Dream Lens"

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by NullMind, Jan 31, 2015.

1. NullMind

NullMind TalkEmount Regular

Jan 17, 2015
    I was able to find me a mint dream lens in December, as some of you know, this lens is over 40 years old, and only about 20,000 of them were produced, in a time Canon had money to burn !

While it will be converted to M mount in the next month or so, you can use it with this adapter from eBay.

To start, an iPhone picture of this fantastic lens on the Sony A7R

What a combo ! by Carlos 'NullMind' Rego, on Flickr

I must say, this lens is not for everybody, it is soft wide open, and forget about focus peaking, once you zoom in (focus aid) the focus peaking is nowhere to be seen, but thanks to the focus zoom it's very easy to focus manually anyway.

But it took me a while to "get" this lens, the first few pictures I took were way too soft, I grew disappointed, but later realised it was mostly due to technique, and now I am finally able to get much more our of the lens

The first picture I was happy with was this one of a calf by the side of the road in the Azores, the bokeh is simply amazing (yes, it is subjective and tastes vary)

Moo Bokeh by Carlos 'NullMind' Rego, on Flickr

I started to try and test some lens flare, and the results were very pleasing (the tree is also in the Azores)

Naked Tree by Carlos 'NullMind' Rego, on Flickr

But finally last night I got a photo that I was really happy with, I was out in London with my GF to have dinner and decided to try to get a portrait with some bokeh, just a spontaneous shot with local light, and for the first time I got some face sharpness I was truly happy with, yes it's not sharp like my Zeiss 85, but thats not this kind of lens :)

I actually endup with the face being a bit too sharp, the light angle made all the bumps in the face appear, so I smoothed it, otherwise my GF would rip one of my limbs ;)

But the thing to look at, the background .. it's obliterated !, the lights have this great "halo" bokeh to them, and there is this "dreamy" quality to the picture, I can finally see where the name comes from :)

16409241801_016cbcde34_b. Val @ Night by Carlos 'NullMind' Rego, on Flickr

I will post more as I start to better use this lens, but so far I have a feeling it will stay on my bag for the next 40+ years :)
    • Like Like x 6
  2. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    It's just right for the calf picture, sometimes the bookeh is a bit too much but mostly I like it :)
  3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Amazing lens!

Lucky you!
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Any lens is going to be difficult at that F Stop, but you can get some great images.

We'll done
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NullMind

NullMind TalkEmount Regular

Jan 17, 2015
    Thanks, it is a difficult f stop, but when you nail it ... Beautiful
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Interesting lens. I've seen them on ebay from time to time and been tempted, but managed to resist. I may need to put one back on my wish list. :)
  7. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    amazing bokeh indeed, im a big fan of super busy bokeh. I subdued my overwhelming desire foe such a lens with the mitakon batlens, but still its tempting...
  8. Boily

Boily TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1