1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon 50mm 3.5 // or // Hexanon 55mm // or // Something else?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dsiglin, Apr 23, 2013.

1. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Just getting interested in macro photography, so I read up on lenses I can use with my Nex-5n that can also be found for under $100. Just testing the waters right now so as much as I would love a Tamron 90mm or a Kiron 105mm but I can't justify it. If I find out I really like macro work then I can delve deeper.

For now, I've worked my choice down to the two lenses in the title. Both require extension tubes and both seem like solid choices. Am I right? Would you suggest another lens entirely? It would be great to have something that doesn't require an extension tube but I can't find anything within my parameters.

Thanks in advance.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum. :)

A couple of pertinent threads here of late. The first a general listing of macro options, and the second one with specific examples.

What lenses do you already have? It may pay to pick up a legacy macro lens in a focal length that you'll use for general work as well as macro.

3. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Thank you. I just switched from a Panny G3 to Nex5n mostly for better low-light performance. Still fairly new to interchangeable systems (G3 was my first and I got that a year ago) but obviously I'm enjoying it. :)

So currently I have a Sigma Superwide II 24mm 2.8 I'm trying to sell, a Sigma 19mm 2.8 e-mount that is the reason I'm selling the first sigma, and a Hexanon 40mm 1.8. I just sold my Hexanon 50mm 1.4. Looking for a nifty fifty at around the 1.7 range. I had a Hexanon 50mm 1.7 before and loved it so probably get that again, but was also checking into Canon, Rokkor, or even something funkier like a Industar or C-mount lens. 50mm would be for most of my "artsy" shots so something with more character is ok. The 40mm 1.8 would be my go to lens for the 40-50mm range when I don't want anything funky. The 19mm Sigma is for landscapes and I'm currently looking for a macro and telephoto lens. Been eyeing Rokkor MD 135mm 2.8 for telephoto.

So yeah, that's my current and possibly future lineup.

Oh, and read through the first thread earlier this morning, partially my reason for going dedicated macro lens route. I've been lurking on this forum ever since I got my Nex. Figured it was time to get active.

4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    You might keep your eye out for a 100mm 1:2.8 macro lens - then you'd kill two birds with one stone!

Another worthy cheap option would be old Nikon glass - should be able to score one of their slower old macros for under $100 easy. (Hard to go wrong with any of the major names, really - I haven't heard of any of them putting out a bad normal-range macro.)

5. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Really good point. I read recently that longer macro lenses were a better idea, so 100mm instead of 50mm. I'll need to spend a while researching, only researched in the 50mm focal range. Was there a specific Nikon lens you were thinking of? Thanks.

Edit, just discovered the vivitar 100mm 2.8 macro and the canon 100mm 2.8 macro. Both look like solid options. The vivitar was made by kiron for a while.

6. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Ok so add Canon 50mm 1.4 SSC to my list of lenses. :D Found one on ebay for $65 out the door. Keeping my eyes open for telephoto/macro canon lenses now. I've also been looking into Soviet era lenses, seems like the Helios 44-2 is a really nice little lens.