1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Canon 300mm F4 L IS EF with Metabones IV adapter and Sigma TCs

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dmward, Jun 8, 2015.

1. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    As I described in another thread the latest firmware update for the Metabones IV EF to E adapter supports my Canon 300mm F4.0 IS lens.

I have two Sigma Teleconverters, a 1.4 and a 2.0. They are the latest version. I had originally purchased them along with a Sigma 120-300 F2.8 zoom for my Canon kit.

I'd sold the lens as well as the Canon cameras and most of the other kit, but still had the lens and TCs. So I decided to give them a try along with the lens on an A7M2.

As I mentioned in the other thread, the camera will go dark once in a while. It appears to be caused by losing some of the electrical connections between the components. Its frustrating but manageable considering the benefits.

Here is a composite of 6 images; Full frame and 100% crop. All are reduced to create the composite. I turned off sharpening in Lightroom to ensure a realistic comparison of the lens/camera/adapters performance. I could hear the IS in the lens kick in when half pressing the shutter release. I had OSS set to manual with the effective focal length of the lens input to optimize IBIS.

As you can see from the exposure data for each image, IBIS/IS seems to be working. These were all shot at 16000 ISO, Av shutter handheld with my elbow resting on my desk to help steady the shot. The poster is about 20 feet away.

300MM-MB.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Here is the 600mm full frame:

[​IMG]

and Here is a 100% crop:

[​IMG]

and 300mm 100% crop for comparison: