Showcase Canon 300mm f/4L FD

sesser

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
randy
I've had this lens for a few weeks now. Just now getting around to testing it on the A7II. I believe this is wide open.
Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

Hopefully, when the weather cooperates a little more, I'll get out and find some better subjects...

sesser

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice shots. If you don't mind me asking what adapter are you using?
Fotasy FD-A7II. Cheapest one I could find on Amazon :)

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
I've had this lens for a few weeks now.
Have that lens as well...my most used wildlife lens, remains on an NEX7 by default ...and an excelllent moon lens with Canon’s 2x-A doubler...enjoy!

Andy Clement

TalkEmount Regular
I have two version of this lens. The L which I just recently purchased and the non-L version which I've owned for a couple of months now. I really liked the non-L version so much that when I saw an L on ebay, I just had to have it.

DSC03813-Edit by Andy Clement, on Flickr

Not sure exactly what I'm going to do with the non-L right now. I'll probably sell it on ebay at some point to fund some future legacy lens purchase. Example non-L shot can be seen here: Untitled

sesser

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
randy
I haven't used the non-L version, but from what I've read, image quality is (subjectively) better. I'm certainly not complaining about the L version. It performs quite well even wide open and 600mm FOV on my m4/3 body. :)

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
FWIW, I have both the non-L and L versions...in my opinion, even just using JPEGs and today's basic post-processing, I find it hard to tell much difference.

siftu

TalkEmount Regular
FWIW, I have both the non-L and L versions...in my opinion, even just using JPEGs and today's basic post-processing, I find it hard to tell much difference.
Have you got any side by side comparisons? The L has always been on my radar

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
Have you got any side by side comparisons? The L has always been on my radar
Sorry, sure don’t...to be clear, IMO, if I wanted to get an FD300, I’d get the “L”...but was just saying that with today’s digital cameras & post processing vs. back in film days, I didn’t think the difference in the end results obtainable with the “non-L” version were all that significant anymore...others mileage may vary

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Wow! Love the 2nd photo!

BTDT! :)
Also heading out without the SD card in the camera!
Now I keep extra quick release plates on my tripod or bag. (less a concern now that I keep L-brackets on the cameras.)
And a surplus smaller capacity SD card permanently in my wallet.

Andy Clement

TalkEmount Regular
Very nice. Agree about the second image.

I'm notorious for leaving the SD card in the PC after importing images only to get out to shoot with no card. I've started keeping an SD card in my wallet for just those occasions.

sesser

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
randy
In my defense, it was before 6am and I was rushing out the door. Last minute decision to go for a drive. The coffee hadn't fully kicked in... obviously. :)

sesser

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
randy
Popped down to the local Rhododendron garden as the sun started to drop. Sadly, not much in terms of flowers anymore... birds will do.

OK, this next shot is not a bird, but still interesting. Nutria... basically, a giant water rat.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Popped down to the local Rhododendron garden as the sun started to drop. Sadly, not much in terms of flowers anymore... birds will do.

View attachment 92025
View attachment 92026
View attachment 92027
View attachment 92028

OK, this next shot is not a bird, but still interesting. Nutria... basically, a giant water rat.
View attachment 92029
Nice! I grew up near the Reed College area. I like bringing my kids to the garden when we come up to visit family in Portland. :)

sesser

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
randy
Nice! I grew up near the Reed College area. I like bringing my kids to the garden when we come up to visit family in Portland. :)
Yep yep.. it's nice to escape the FoPo ghetto and see some nature ;)

sesser

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
randy
Had a hard time focusing this morning as the mosquitoes drained a pint of blood from my legs... but managed to snap this off before passing out

Latest posts

Top Bottom