Canon 300mm f/4 IS lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Zanner, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Just bought my first Canon. Used 300mm f/4 IS from KEH on Ebay. Anyone have this lens and use it on their NEX? I bought it for wildlife out my back window of the house. I'm excited but hope I made the right decision.

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I've got Canon FD 300/4.0 lenses, but not the' IS' you referenced.
    ( does that stand for image stabilization ? )

The 300 is my most used / go to wildlife lens on the NEX-7...stays on the camera unless / until I need a different lens for something, then goes right back on.

3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Is it the EF 300mm f/4 L IS? If so, that's a great lens, but you will need a smart adapter like the Metabones EOS to Sony E-mount.

4. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Yes that is correct. And IS is for image stabilization, yes. I don't have a smart adapter, just the basic EF to E mount for manual shooting. I can't afford those adapters right now, but will get one in the future if I want to do auto. I always shoot manual. But my little basic one should work for now right?

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Hey Suzanne! IIRC from my Canon days with this L series, you won't have manual aperture control of the lens. It's done electronically. Without a smart adapter, you'll need a Canon dslr body to set the aperture and then mount the lens on the Sony body to achieve the desired aperture.

Since you were planning to focus manually, you can probably go with any less expensive smart adapter instead of the $400 Metabones. It's the AF / IS holy grail performance that is the cost. You just need the convenience of setting the aperture.
    Also, the smart adapter performance varies among Canon lens models, and mostly fail for long focal length zooms. You happen to have a prime.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I bit the bullet and ordered the $399 adapter. Hurts my wallet but so does everything these days ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    excited to see your results!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1