Showcase Canon 20mm f2.8 FD

greywater

TalkEmount Regular
Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

Bleak New England winter day.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I'm wondering if this lens is really OK for landscapes, meaning sharp across the frame at some aperture. Any chance of seeing full-size pictures somewhere from an A7(r)?
Any of my images in this thread that are linked to my Flickr page are available there at 2048 px on the long edge. And if you want to see any of the original raw files, I can put them in my dropbox and send you a link via PM. Just let me know which one(s) you want to see. Unfortunately I don't have the lens anymore, so I can't shoot any test shots for you.

greywater

TalkEmount Regular
I'm wondering if this lens is really OK for landscapes, meaning sharp across the frame at some aperture. Any chance of seeing full-size pictures somewhere from an A7(r)?
Corner to corner perfection is impossible with any very wide angle lens. In fact, it's impossible with any lens if you pixel peep at high enough resolution. The best UWA lenses are the ones in your eyeballs. Nothing can compete with them.

"Sharpness" is an interpretive term. I think it's more important and satisfying to enjoy a lens characteristics than it is to hunt for "perfection."

NightBird

TalkEmount Regular
I just picked one up yesterday after months and months of trying to find a nice one at a reasonable price. To my surprise it ended up being absolutely "as new". Now just looking forward to trying it out properly this weekend (weather permitting). I took a quick shot on the way back from picking it up. Nothing special, but was interested in a quick tryout. Corners seem very good for such a wide lens. though perhaps not quite as great as my FD 24mm 2.8 (Hard to tell with the two images below). For me, this 20mm is one beautiful lens!

Canon FD 20mm f2.8 S.S.C
by Darren.Nightingale, on Flickr

Canon FD 20mm f2.8 Test
by Darren.Nightingale, on Flickr

IX35 Test Image by Darren.Nightingale, on Flickr

Mus Aziz

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mus

Autumn of our Love...

Mus Aziz

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mus
Ad....Lolll. I actually was thinking of this song (jazz instrumental) called Autumn of our Love by Spyro Gyra. Oh...many years ago :)

Mus Aziz

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mus
Can't suppress my curiosity, have to ask :confused-69:. You have a Sigma 1.4/20 if I remember correctly, why did you use the Canon FD 2.8/20 for this one?
I bought it for a friend (from eBay) and was keen to see how it performed. He's happy with the outcome.

I'm saving up for the FE16-35/2.8 G Master :(

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
I've had this lens since the beginning of the 21st. century but haven't really used it as much as FD 24 and Nikkor 35.

This one was shot when we visited Amarillo, Texas. Shot it when the sun was high up in the sky! Summer, hot, humid and very dry. Could be better but our visit was only for a day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom