1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cannot get wireless flash happening between NEX-6, HVL-F20M and the off-shoe HVL-F58AM.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jgrouse, Aug 30, 2013.

1. jgrouse

jgrouse New to TalkEmount

Aug 30, 2013
    Hi,
    I have an NEX-6 which, according to advice from the internet, can work with my HVL-F58AM (with shoe adaptor for NEX-6) in wireless mode provided I also have the HVL-F20M connected to the camera.
    I followed these instructions -
    1) attach F58AM to NEX-6 and set flash in menu to WL.
    2) partially hold down the trigger and slide the F58AM off the camera. Apparently the red light on the front of the F58AM is supposed to flash but it doesn't.
    3) attach the F20M to the camera (I can see the flash settings are still in WL mode).
    Apparently from that point both flashes should go off with the F20M acting as the controller.
    Well, this is not working. I have tried setting the F58AM to either CTRL, RMT or RMT2 with no luck. I have tried each of the available channels (1-4) on the F58AM with no luck.
    Can someone please confirm that they have managed to get this working with either their F58AM or F60AM flash? And if so, how??
    Staggering how much I have spent trying to get wireless flash working only to find that the advice from the internet was useless.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. jgrouse

jgrouse New to TalkEmount

Aug 30, 2013
    Nevermind, I worked it out - You have to remove the hotshoe adaptor (ADP-MAA) from the HVL-F58AM after you remove it from the camera. Must make it think it is still attached to the camera.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, welcome to the forum, even if we were a little slow on the help front. ;)