Cannot change f stop in A, M or SS modes on a6000.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Jerry Gammon, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Jerry Gammon

Jerry Gammon TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 8, 2016
    Without making any menu changes, I suddenly found that I could not change my aperture using the top right dial while in Aperture Priority mode. It would only go between f 10 & f11 - no higher or lower. Same in Manual. I turned on and off, removed battery, but still not working. Any suggestions?

2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I assume you are using a native (Sony) lens? Not sure what could possibly be limiting you like that, but you could try resetting to defaults. Annoying if you've done any extensive customizations, but it might get it working again.

It's on the last page in the menus, "Setting Reset". Try the top one first, the lower one is a little more drastic and basically sets it to factory everything.

3. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    First of all, I would check that the dial is generally working by using it for another feature - say advancing frames in playback mode. If you cant get the rear dial to do anything properly, you almost certainly have a rear dial connection problems.

Also try changing the lens and using a fully charged different battery.

Assuming that the rear dial is generally working but not for aperture - I would go into the menus and reset the camera. This will erase all your settings, so is something of a last resort. Something similar happened with one of my cameras and this did the trick.

4. Jerry Gammon

Oct 8, 2016
    Thank you robbie36 and bdbits. I changed lens (both Sony lenses) and did the top mode of the settings reset. Still cannot change the f stop using the top dial next to the settings dial. I also inserted a full charge battery. I will use the full setting reset as a final option.

5. Jerry Gammon

Oct 8, 2016
    Getting even stranger! The dial will allow me to review and advance frames for two images only...just like it does with apertures - two only...so, it must be a real dial problem.

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Sounds like the rotary dial failed.

• Sad Sad x 1
  7. Jerry Gammon

Oct 8, 2016
    I think the problem was that I had locked up the dials in the menu: Custom 6 at the bottom. All is well now...thanks for the input..

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    Glad to hear this was just a fairly simple user error and not a catastrophic camera failure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Cool! That's a relief.

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    User error: The most embarrassing and yet grateful moment.

Glad your gear is not busted.