• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Can you tell me why is this happening ?

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I shot this photograph today in the morning. After having done some adjustments I noticed that there are halos or whatever you may call it, on the right side of the trunk. Any idea why this is happening ?
I can redo the shot tomorrow morning at about the same hour but I remember that I wanted to use the maximum aperture and the speed was flashing. I also remember that when I saw the flashing speed I closed the aperture just a bit but perhaps it was not enough... Most of the time I shoot Aperture priority.
Anyway, I think I will repeat the shot tomorrow.

Bellow - no adjustments and adjusted

i-WsXMbff-X4.jpg
ILCE-7M3    FE 135mm F1.8 GM    135mm    f/2.0    1/6400s    ISO 100
i-TQpF9X3-X4.jpg

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Looks like it may be from your adjustments. I see such 'halos' when the Clarity tool is used greatly. Can happen even with moderate use under some conditions.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Thank you guys fro your comments ! Much appreciated. :bowdown:
@ Will - It can't be from my adjustments, can it ? How if we see the issue in the raw file itself ?
It is true that the file out of RAW has already some kind of adjustments, but...
@ Tim - Perhaps yes, I am being too picky. My wife couldn't detect it either...
Cheers to all ! :)

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Thanks David ! :bowdown:
One preset yes ! This one
i-KvWPzmD-X4.png
   ---            

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Today I was there again and talked to the man for a while as he was awaken
The weather looked much like yesterday and the hour was "near" the time of the previous photo
He did not want me to shoot him.
Some other day, perhaps... tomorrow :)

Last edited:

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Thanks David ! :bowdown:
One preset yes ! This one
My guess is that there may be other adjustments (other than a lens profile) getting applied during import, Antonio. You may want to look to see if there's any sharpening or contrast, etc. involved. I know that when I import my raw files into Lightroom, several adjustments get applied before I begin working on my images.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Top Veteran
David, I went through all settings and reseted them all, even the lens corrections. It persists !
i-kPjCZW6-X4.jpg

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Hmmm.... The "halo" is only on the dark side of the tree. Could it be compression artifacts? Are you shooting compressed RAW or uncompressed RAW?

Second thought is some kind of depth of field bokeh issue. Where the water is so much further back it creates a weird bokeh against the tree edge. Not fond of that theory, though. Just spit-balling.

Third thought is that the water is changing colors, could the "halo" actually be brighter water and not a halo?

Fourth thought is that it's an optical illusion. Our eyes see the dark side of the tree and then the water "appears" suddenly brighter and our mind confuses what we see as it transitions into the water background. If you mask the tree and make it brighter, does the halo go away?

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Miller, even if I have just posted two more shots a few moments ago, I have been pretty busy and I was not able to take some time to reply to you.
I will do it shortly, I hope.
Cheers ! :bowdown:
Oh ! And thank you for the comment. :thumbsup:

Latest threads

Top Bottom