Can we please get separate forums for the nex series and the full frame series?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Benjamin, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin TalkEmount Regular

I own a Nex 7 and come here to read stuff about the nex 7. Thats become impossible with the release of the the full frames cause the forum is flooded with with topics about them. I really like this site for info and learning about the camera, but its becoming pointless.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    That full-frame focus may change (a bit) when the new ex-nex's come out.

If not, maybe we NEX and EX-NEX owners should be bunked in with the Fuji crowd -- as the APS-C compact group. Natural allies, I should think. Zeiss seems to think so with the Touits.

P.S. Enjoyed your Chicago pix -- my home town.

3. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Might be a little inconvenient but separate forums for each would be much worse IMHO.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I see 50 threads here on the front page right now, Benjamin, of which 5 are specific to the new A7 & A7R. If you're finding it impossible to read stuff about the the NEX-7 here, I really don't understand why that should be. There's plenty of stuff to read. The NEX-7 is now two (three?) generations old, and is apparently on the cusp of being replaced. Is it really surprising that it's not the main topic of discussion right now?

I'm sorry that you find this site pointless. But I still enjoy reading threads here about cameras that I don't own, or those that show photos taken with them. And I would hate to lose those threads if they were split off.

• Like Like x 8
  5. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Agreed ^

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I get it and agree but also disagree.

I think it would be nice, especially as the models expand to have a dedicated forum. Perhaps a forum for all compact full frames?

However as the mount is the same and accessories are the same I don't mind hearing about the A7, and love seeing the images.

7. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    I want to be able to see both, and i want to see them in one place.

I am a 5R user, but may want to upgrade to full frame in the future. Keen to keep an eye on developments.

And also, any adapted lens that is great on an A7 will almost certainly also be good on a 5R or nex 7. It's useful!

8. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    I have a NEX 6 and an A7, but even if I didn't I don't see a need for separate forums. They share the same mount for one thing, I use my Rokkors on both cameras. If it comes to a vote I would vote to keep it as is please.

9. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    do split even more the forum. We have already much more categories of what we need (just check how "lonely" some categories feel)

10. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Splitting the forum would be madness.
    There is a lot about the A7/R at the moment, but what do you expect - they are new!

I had a similar experience on a car forum, myaudiq5.com - in May 2013 I took delivery of one of the first SQ5's off the production line, and of course this Q5 forum was awash with hype over the new 'S' version of the car.
    There were more than a few people saying split the forum, mainly people with a lowly Q5 saying they don't want to keep seeing stuff about the SQ5.
    In reality the SQ5 and Q5 share 99% components so the only irrelevant posts are going to be engine related.
    Now a few months have passed the hype is over and everyone is enjoying a balanced mix of Q/SQ posts...
    Many Q5 owners have also enjoyed using the SQ5 owner reviews as an excuse to upgrade...

The same applies here, APS-C or FF, the e-mount series share 99% relevance to each other and so I find it very useful to see posts for all the available cameras in the line up.
    I will be purchasing either an A7 or the NEX7 successor this year, and this mixed forum will be invaluable for helping make that decision.

In summary, get over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. Benjamin

Benjamin TalkEmount Regular

Sure, plenty of other forums out there : )

12. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    The only thing I would say is to maybe split the forum topics up to APS-C E and FE in the equipment section and maybe sample image section.

Personally, I like seeing everything on the active discussions page. I don't have any plans to get an FE camera but I like to see what everyone is doing with them.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I look at how it works here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

That's a great forum which has managed to keep discourse very friendly and civil despite an enormous amount of activity, so when I'm not sure what to do I tend to emulate them a bit. As you can see, they don't separate APS-C from full frame, and it's worked out well for them.

On the other hand, there are other great sites that do so, like this one for example: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/

So bottom line the suggestion is appreciated, and we will continue to consider the subforum organization to see how we can make improvements over time.

• Like Like x 3
  14. pen2omd

pen2omd New to TalkEmount

Dec 21, 2013
    Suggestion then

I am new to the Sony camera world. I now own a A7r and would like to know at first glance if what is said apply to my camera or not. If I have no applicability to the information in the thread I will not read it. Most threads title are not particuliary explicit.

So a section specific to FE could make sens.
    Perhaps if it is technicaly feasible a switchable icon APS-C/FE/both could work if the posters have the discipline to qualifie their thread.

For icon may I suggest APS-C: :frown: while for FE: :biggrin:

Just kidding! :p

15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That sounds simple, but it may not be so. For instance, some who have switched from NEX to A7/A7R still continue to use their E lenses on the new FE bodies. For instance, I find the SEL1018 perfectly usable on my A7 in the 12-16mm range, uncropped. And I know of others who use their E lenses in crop mode, figuring that 10 MP images are just fine for their purpose. Bottom line: the lens mount is the same, and so the line between the camera bodies is likely to be blurry.

From a technical information gathering point of view, I can see some value in splitting the forum. But even though I now shoot with an A7, I still enjoy seeing what others here do with their NEX cameras, and I still learn from them. Heck, I learn stuff from iPhone shooters too. I admit that I have a hard time understanding why there's a desire for exclusion, or why seeing posts about other cameras seems to be such a source of annoyance for some.

• Like Like x 2
  16. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Same here. I enjoy seeing the A7 examples people are posting, even though it is about 99% likely I will never buy one.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  17. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I still think that certain parts of the site would do best separated. Like for example reviews on adapted lenses. I think in most threads that I've seen OP is generally good at specifying whether it's an FE or E mount In the thread title. That might be a good habit for the rest of us to get into.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  18. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I would agree. We should specify as much as possible so other members can easily navigate.

19. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I have no interest in the A7/R but I'm fine with it not being separated. I think you need a critical mass of folks to make a forum interesting, and quite frankly I'm not sure this forum always hit the mark. It has lately, I think, because of the full frame buzz.

I'm not saying the OP feels this way, but I have seen more than a few times how a new camera can take over for a while, and folks who don't have it sometimes get frustrated. As someone else said, just be a little patient with it.

20. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    Just a newby comment but I am enjoying finding everything all in one place, can't get enough of it.

This is a great community very much like Dyxum.

Huge appreciation for all of you putting so much effort into sharing information and stoke about our sport!