• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Can we discuss Photoshop?

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
My son, via a gift from my granddaughter, gave me a years subscription to PhotoShop for Christmas.
I'm not sure I want to accept it. Not because I don't think I'd benefit from using it on my photos, but because it uses the 'CLOUD'.
My past employment kept me from 'joining' things like Facebook and Instagram because the people granting me security clearances didn't approve of the things associated with those, what are they called, 'platforms'. As they explained it, there was/is a lot going on behind the scenes that the general public isn't aware of as far as who really 'owns' them and what they do with the data collected.
So, I've been averse to using anything that isn't located directly on my computer. I only post in a few forums as it is. I'm hesitant to accept the gift since the 'cloud' is part of the deal, as I understand it.
Am I wrong in thinking this or ???
I'd be interested in hearing from those of you that do use PS and the Lightroom that also comes with it.
My wife is pissed at me that I may not accept this gift, so I may be fighting an uphill battle as it is.
I am open to discuss it though, first.
Thanks.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
You don’t have to use “the cloud” at all to use Photoshop or Lightroom. And even if you did, I have no idea how you could be harmed by doing so. It’s not a “social media” platform, and they don’t use your private data to try to sell you anything or sell your private data to advertisers. It’s just a place to back up your photos, where they’re safe if, say, your house burns down and your computer goes up in flames.

Can you tell us what, exactly, your concerns are? Maybe we can set your mind at ease.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Like David says, it is not a social platform or I might be more concerned, as you have indicated. While Adobe may know a fair bit about you if your photos will reside in the cloud (due to applying AI for example), I have my doubts they are doing much of anything with it beyond internal use to support and enhance their products. On the plus side, if you do put photos in the cloud, you can open them on tablets/ipads, mobile phones, or anyone you have set up an Adobe client (as I understand it anyway). I would be careful to configure it to be sure that your photos are being stored where you want them. If in the future you decide not to use Adobe products anymore, you would not want to lose access to your photos, or have to download everything back to local storage.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
You don’t have to use “the cloud” at all to use Photoshop or Lightroom.

Really? I thought the Adobe stuff was all subscription-based software-as-a-service these days?

Do correct me: I'd be happy to be wrong. I haven't even had a Windows machine for about ten years, so I am out of touch.

I do have strong feelings about cloud-based services or primary data storage. Even the biggest providers can cease to exist, or, more realistically perhaps, have their services down when one really really needs something. However, I have no worries in principle about that cloud as a secondary backup device, and I don't hesitate to use it for sharing. The more concerned might be wise to stick to those whose business is data storage, rather than those whose business is data mining and advertising.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Really? I thought the Adobe stuff was all subscription-based software-as-a-service these days?
Yes, it is a subscription-based software. But there’s no need to store anything in the cloud. I guess I think of the two as different things. There are some advantages in keeping at least some of your photos online. As Bob noted, being able to have access to your photos when away from your primary computer is a nice plus. But I don’t store anything in Adobe’s cloud. However, I’m about to take delivery on a new Mac mini M1 soon, and I may want to rethink my operating procedures once I do. Bottom line: the Adobe subscription must be paid to use their software, but they have no access to your photos unless you choose to let them.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'm starting to get a better feeling about using this gift based on what has been posted here. Thanks.
Now the only hurdle to overcome is the daunting task of actually diving in and learning how to use it.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Now the only hurdle to overcome is the daunting task of actually diving in and learning how to use it.
Good luck with that! :laugh: It’s a very deep rabbit hole for sure. But I have found the online tutorials on Adobe’s web site to be a gold mine of useful knowledge. You’ll never run out of stuff to learn there.

Latest threads

Top Bottom