1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Can someone recommend a ring flashlight for this Vivitar 100mm 3.5 macro lens? pic inside

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by shaolin95, Aug 21, 2013.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hello!
    Just trying to get a cheapo ring flashlight to help me use smaller apertures when using my macro lens.

Attached Files:

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I have Godox one, their ring flash and not a led ring light.

3. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    Hey, I sent a rather long response to your PM this morning, but it looks like it didn't go through :(

Anyway, in the PM I talked about lighting mostly. Many people make all sorts of complicated setups to handle macro lighting...
    Post Your Set Up! - FM Forums

I just use one of these with a shoe mounted flash...
    Interfit STR111 Small On Camera Diffuser STR111

Doesn't get much cheaper than that :)

4. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    What a shame, I was looking forward to it specially on how you get those ultra sharp details. :)
    Thanks for the info amigos!

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Hey, don't do that, put it on the forum. I'm very interested in lighting.

(well ok do that but send the PM to me!) :p

6. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
    Hehe :)

It wasn't anything profound, I was just explaining that you need so much light for good insect macro, that a flash is almost a must have. Also, to avoid the harsh shadows from flash, you want the effective light source to be as close to the subject as you can get it and to be as large as you can get it. Then I explained my simple light setup as I did here in my previous post.

7. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
    For the shoe mounted flash, I have 2 flashes that I have been using with the on camera diffuser. An old Sunpak 383 and a Sunpak PF20XD. The PF is nice and small and light, but recycles slow at full power and kills batteries fast. The 383 is your typical heavy, enormous size flash gun, but it has power to spare. It also has a swivel/tilt head which allows me to put a little angle on the lighting by adjusting the diffuser to one side. Mostly I use the PF because the 383 is just so big on the NEX.

8. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
    @shaolin95, do you think you will end up using a ring light? I'd be interested to see how it turns out for you.

9. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Well, not sure as I wanted something ultra cheap first so I am going with your suggestion first but I only got the built in flash so we shall see. :)
    I will keep you posted for sure.

10. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
    Good luck! I tried the built in flash, and you can sometimes get usable results, but it is a bit under-powered for this. Definitely crank up the flash compensation all the way. FYI, the Sunpak PF20XD is not terribly expensive (around $45).

11. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Sweet. That looks very nice. I get confused with my nex-6 and the flash situation and when I need an adatper or not, etc..that is what I havent got one yet. :)

12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Ring lights are not very usable as they don't put enough light (many times you want aperture 11 or so, iso 200 and fast shutter speed). Additionally many macro lenses have exposure compensation of 1-2 stops more (many old macros are Tessars and focusing is by moving whole lens forward and image circle expands as well). Ring flashes are very good for technical photography. However they produce too even light. No shadows and less 3d. Therefore there are twin flash systems but they are pretty expensive.

I will try one of these diffusers too.

13. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
    I know, it's tough to find a good flash for the nex 6. I want something small and manual. The sunpak pf20xd is pretty close to what I need, but it recycles too slow at full power and does not have a setting for half power. At 1/4 power it recycles immediately, but at that power ISO 100 is never usable, I have to use 200 or more. If it just allowed 1/2 power setting it would be just about right. I would also prefer something with tilt/swivel head and maybe 2AA batteries instead of 2AAA batteries. Guess I can't have it all :(

14. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Did you have to get an adapter at all or just the way you bought it?
    I am about to order it. :)