1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can I use the beercan

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Jul 22, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    reading discussion over discussion on the net, where I learn a lot of things.
    I was wondering if I can use the Beercan on my sony nex-3f

Minolta AF 70-210mm/F4 ‘beercan’ boxed. | eBay

as this is declared an autofocus lens.

Would the body hold such heavy lens or not?

Regards
    A

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Should fit just fine. I and others have had bigger lenses attached with no issue.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    thanks for the answer. Would I be also able to use it in my nex? I wonder about this AF. I have read that this is a very good optical lens.

see also here

http://www.pbase.com/lou_giroud/beercan

" The beercan is a huge and sharp lens to ow, but a heavy bastard to carry around.
    I made all that shots by manual work. I recommend the use of this lens with an LA-EA 2
    adapter that will make i AF. The Nex is too light to handle that size and adjusting focus
    manually at 70 mm becomes a real sport when you carry it. Also the focusing
    and the zoom rings are too lose, they move very easy and focusing is off quiet fast.
    The Lens"

4. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Yes, it will work on your NEX with an adapter. I have the "mini" beercan (100-200mm) and use the LA-EA2 adapter, which allows for autofocus control of the lens. The adapter also makes your NEX use phase detection focusing, which is faster than the NEX's contrast detection. Of course, the LA-EA2 adapter is a bit pricey itself (~$250). There are cheaper A-mount to E-mount adapters, but you lose phase detection focusing, which may not be a big deal for you.

5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for the detailed answer. Could you give me weight and dimensions (mostly length) of your beercan you have?

A.

6. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Check this page for the details on the Minolta Maxxum 100-200mm:
    Minolta AF 100-200mm F/4.5 review

Looks like the weight is about 13.3oz (377g) or 14oz (397g) with caps, and the dimensions are 2.75" x 3.74" (70mm x 95mm).

I got mine from ebay for a total of around $40, so I can't complain :)

This guy's review of this lens is very detailed, and is the main reason I bought it. Here's his quick summary: