Can anyone recommend a macro light/flash?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dshin525, Jun 10, 2013.

1. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    I'm getting more and more into shooting macro. I have a dedicated macro lens (minolta 50mm 3.5 with a matched extension tube that allows me to shoot 1:1). The issue I have of course is that a lot of times there isn't enough light. I mostly shoot bugs and flowers in my back yard hand held, and I try to shoot at the highest shutter speed possible (especially for bugs). But a lot of times high shutter speeds aren't possible if there isn't a lot of sunlight out. I've been looking at macro ring lights...and I saw that sony makes one for $300. Not sure I want to spend that much. Then there are cheap ones around $50 or so.
    Are they worth it? Should I look at flash or continuous lights? Anyone have positive experience with using a certain brand? Thanks.

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    The cheap led ring lights help a lot but you lose 2 stops of light when doing 1:1 with that lens and if you want aperture 11 and short exposure time there is not enough light.

I did settle to Godox ML-150 that is cheapest ring flash I know. It is much better than the ring light I have. I think that ring lights are very good choice when objects are stationary and you use tripod but even a light breeze will be problematic with plants. That Sony unit may be better than cheap Chinese unit I have (the idea is very sound).

3. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    LED lights will give you more light but not enough light to shoot anything that moves. Look at some of the macro forums like fredmiranda.com: Specialized in Canon - Nikon SLR Cameras, Forum, Photoshop Plugins, Actions, Reviews, Hosting and Digital Darkroom Go to the macro section and look at the thread " show your setup" There you will see countless setups for using flash, many with home made diffusers. Most of us who shoot macro set the camera to Aperture priority, f11 or f16. Shutter set to the highest flash synch speed for the body you are using,( usually about 1/200 or 1/250th of a second and lens set for manual focusing as auto focus is not very good at figuring out what you want to focus on at such close distances. Focus is attained by rocking the camera back and forth until the subject becomes sharp in the viewfinder.The flash is placed in a bracket that allows you to bring it up to the front of the lens.