1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Can anyone help Identify this bird?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Jun 15, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Noticed it all fluffed out in the sun for the heat to drive off fleas, etc.
    Has the powerful beak of a seed eater like a Cardinal, Grosbeak, etc.
    It's bigger than the typical small Sparrows, Finches, and so on.
    My best guess is some form of Grosbeak...maybe a Female, or a Juvenile ??

2. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I am by no means a bird expert. But I'm going to go with female house finch or female blue grosbeak. Even though you said it was larger than a finch, the beak and head look very finch-ish to me ;)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I changed my answer. Female blue grosbeak looks the closest ;)
    Or even a female indigo bunting

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks...and I can understand that...and no authority here for sure.
    I guess the knock-off for me about a Finch has been the fairly long tail with the reverse heart shaped separation at the end of the tail, and the white edges along the tail feathers.
    The more I've been digging into this the more I'm leaning towards a juvenile Rufous-Sided Towhee...I have a resident pair of adults in the yard and this may be one of their fledglings...I need to get a photo of a normal view without the feathers all fluffed out and beak open like that and will post back again as I get better views...thanks

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Interesting...am familiar with both of those birds and have no residents around here...will keep you posted if / when I get more info...thanks again

6. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Towhee! I would agree with the long tail like that. Good luck!

7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks for that...have wondered if some sort of "facial recognition" type technology would be forthcoming for other purposes.
    This particular bird's posture and being all fluffed out might make it a real challenge...but I'll try the site with a few basic / classic bird shots first to see how it does...thanks !

9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I was pleasantly surprised to see that the link goes to Cornell Labs at Cornell University in New York state...I use that Cornell site a lot...never happened to notice this "Merlin" ID feature before.

I first uploaded a classic pose of a Bluejay and it nailed it first time.
    The I uploaded a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker on the side of a tree...it came back with 4-5 possibles and the YBSS was one of them.

Then I tried this little fluffed out bird I posted above...and as expected, it was all over the place, LOL. One of things that worked against ID'ing it was a key data point that was to "spot" the tip of the beak...and with its beak wide open I could only pick 1 tip and the suggestions that came back were birds that all had slender pointed beaks.

10. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

Don't know what part of the US you're in but it looks like a female Eastern Towhee and very nice photo of it.

11. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    This is the adult female below...pretty sure my OP is a young juvenile with no color yet...I need to get a more 'normal' shot of it

12. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Oh well was worth a try :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Got a shot at first light this morning...dark & gloomy as a thunderstorm had just cleared through...had no shutter speed to speak of but it's sharp enough to confirm the ID:
    Juvenile Female Rufous Sided Towhee.

(Also tried it on the Beta Test version of the Bird ID Application Chrid was good enough to post a link to but no hits...either not in their database yet and/or overall too dark)

Canon FDn 300/4.0 on NEX-7, ISO200, 1/40, from the kitchen window sill.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Never would have known that in a million years. Very cool!

• Agree Agree x 1