Can Afford ONE Native FE Lens

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by tjdean01, Jul 3, 2017.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 14, 2015
    For the A7ii I have every focal length I need in adapted glass (24/2.8, 28/2, 40/1.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 135/2.8, etc. And in my Micro Four Thirds system, which I will keep, I use the same lenses adapted, as well as several native auto focus primes. Plus due to its overall value, I’ll probably get the 28-70 kit lens regardless, eventually.

So, I don’t necessarily need a native FE lens, but, you know, of course I want one! A prime with great subject separation; hopefully that will match the wide-open performance of, well, all of my native M43s lenses (think the Panasonic 20/1.7 or 42/1.7).

Since they announced it I’ve been watching the Zeiss Batis 85/1.8. But the Sony 85/1.8 is a lot cheaper! Why would I want one or the other?

And of course there’s the 55/1.8. I think I’d be happy having that FL as well. How much better is that than the new basic 50/1.8? Night and day? I sure do like the $200 price tag! I guess I should read some reviews of the cheap lens before asking. My Pentax 50mm f1.7 is a pretty good lens that I use at f2.2 and up. If this $200 lens beats that, I’m happy!

A 35mm might be on my list but I’d want it to be faster than 2.8. And the 135/2.8 would be a lot of fun as well, but I’m not sure if it would get that much use to warrant buying another 135mm lens (I have 4 or 5 of them!).

So, I guess, is the cheap 50/1.8 satisfactory? Is the focusing better or worse than the M43s 20/1.7? If it sucks, how’s the Sony branded 85/1.8? If that's good and the cheap 50 isn't, it'd be between that and the 55/1.8. Any other prime you guys would recommend? Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    The 55mm 1.8 is super sharp, renders beautifully, small, light and much more usable focal length than the 85mm 1.8. I have both and as much as I like the 85mm, the 55mm is more usable and really is tack sharp wide open.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Seems to me you are confused about what you want, that's a variety of focal lengths you are considering, just buying an FE lens for the sake of it is understandable but you need to know what you want and why for.
    Decide what focal length you want then take it from there

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Was thinking about the wording but Paul did the work for me. I know the feeling, it's just nice to have a native lens with autofocus features, EXIF data, automatic setting of focal length for stabilization etc.
    So that's not a bad idea at all; get this one first I'd say and buy it used so that you can sell it without too much of a loss if you happen not to like it or when other lenses render it redundant.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    If your Pentax is the SMC Pentax-M 50-f1.7, then IMHO, the FE50-f1.8 will have better rendering, given how it compares with a SEL5018 OSS. I have a SMC Pentax-M 50-1.7 and the Sony is superior to my eyes. But the FE50 is slow to AF due to the dated external focusing helicoid and geared motor drive. Noisy.
    I'd suggest the 55 f1.8 Zeiss instead given your desire for prime image quality wide open.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    That's a crop sensor lens, he has the A72, if he wants a versatile zoom the FE24-70 f4 is a good option, I have one and I think it's excellent despite the bad press this lens has.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I just spotted that! And went back to delete it.

9. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I may just do that Ted to get a Loxia 21 :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I also agree with Paul, figure out your most used focal length first. But I will also throw in another consideration. I would not bring this up if you had not mentioned that you already have a complement of adapted lenses. Perhaps you do not really need a FE lens. Your adapted lenses will probably also work on brand X tomorrow's good mirrorless camera with appropriate adapter. But a new FE lens is less likely to do the same due to its closer-to-the-sensor mount. It is worth considering making your standard lens mount something different from your main camera so you can continue to use your good lenses with future cameras.

On the other hand, if you have the funds, it is nice to have a fully compatible lens that does not cripple any of the modes of the camera.

But, focal length first!

12. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    "Weird. That hobo has a really nice camera, and a brand new Zeiss 55mm."

• Funny Funny x 6
  13. tjdean01

tjdean01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 14, 2015
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll reply in line below:

Thanks for posting this. I read through it and the 50/1.8 does seem adequate, at least to start. If I feel I want more I could always save my pennies and move up. A couple $2-300 lenses is fine. But I don't want to have too many $500 lenses as you can only use them so often, get fungus on them, have house broke into, etc.

The focal length is truly not the deciding factor. Since I end up using a variety of focal lengths anyway, and already have all FL in MF lenses, and use all approximately equally (not counting the extremes), I'm looking at a few other factors to make the choice. Right now I think the 50-55s are winning price and size-wise over the 35s and 85s.

I'm thinking that statement could be for both the 28-70 kit as well as the 50/1.8. I could get both of those and see how I like that 50. If it needs to be better I can sell it and try the 55 (keeping the 28-70).

SMC Pentax-M 50-f1.7 is exactly the one! I love this lens and it does great at f2.2. If you think the 50/1.8 bests this wonderful Pentax, then that might just be all the proof I need :)

Haha, duly noted! If it were only double the price and not quadruple!

This is actually something I considered when buying lenses for m43s. My most expensive M43s lens was like $350 because I know I can't use it on anything else. I'm glad too because I don't need to go out and buy a bunch of glass for the Sony because all these lenses work.

As I mentioned above, I'd be happy with a wide range of focal lengths--40, 50, 90--but there are other factors at play. I'm tending to think longer to take more advantage of improved subject separation. I could go faster, but faster also means bigger and more expensive. That's why the 50-85 range seems about the best. The 85s are probably the better, sharper lenses with better bokeh, but then again, bigger and pricier than the 50/55s. That's why I posted this thread. If you guys were like, "Nope, the 50 and 55 are trash because...." then I would look hard at 85s, and vice versa.

Thanks, everyone.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  14. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I know, this is the basic problem with the Sony mirrorless system...just not enough trash lenses... :)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Andromeda143

Andromeda143 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 19, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia
    Clive Dickinson
    The only native FE lens I have at present is the Zeiss 35mm F/2.8. I would like other lenses and a faster 35mm, but find it difficult to justify the expense. However, for what it is worth, I recommend the 35mm F/2.8 highly. It is sharp, light and in a very flexible focal range. I am rarely disappointed with shots taken with it and it is so easy to carry with me. Most of the time I shoot with my Minolta 24mm F/2.8 and have the 35mm with me as an alternative. However, when I just want to go street roaming with only a camera and one lens, I choose the 35mm every time.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    I can only afford one native lens too. The one I opted for is the FE 2/28. I have not been disappointed in its performance.

• Like Like x 3