1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cable release on my NEX6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Larry, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    The fist thing I need to say is I didn't invent this attachment. I found a picture on the internet (maybe on this forum) but I don't remember where. The 2 pictures pretty much show everything. What I did to improve on the original piece was to make a metal cap that I glued on to the shutter button. The camera's button is plastic and I didn't want to operate the cable release plunger directly on the button for fear of wearing a hole on it. This cost me $40.

Attached Files:

2. rtex42

rtex42 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 14, 2013
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Rick
    Nice job Larry.
    This is the one I did for my NEX-7.
    Rick P1010002-5-2. P1010005-2.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Quite innovative on both counts. Someone with a 3-D printer needs to step into the breech. :)

4. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    Yours looks very professional Rick. Mine slips out of the shoe easily or pivots away. Can you operate the button with the bracket in place? I like the idea of mounting from the bottom. I was concerned about mine touching the shoe contacts but haven't had a problem yet.

Larry

5. rtex42

Jun 14, 2013
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Rick
    Larry,
    Thanks, just scrap aluminum with a few bends and twist and a little flat black spray paint.
    It is a little tight but I can reach the outer edge of the button with the adapter in place.
    I started out making a hot shoe mounted version but was concerned with torque that would put on the shoe so I changed to the tripod mount version.
    Rick

6. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
  7. rtex42

Jun 14, 2013
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Rick
    Gio,
    I have two of those. They have, what are for me at least, two serious flaws. 1. There is a huge time delay (feels like about 1/2 second) between pressing the button and the shutter firing. 2. You can't do anything but single shots with them. I do a lot of bracketed shots for HDR as well as using the multi-shot and speed settings.
    Rick

8. jamesthecorporation

jamesthecorporation New to TalkEmount

Apr 22, 2014
    I have a 3D printer!
    I do not have one of these cameras, but my friend showed me the issue with his, so you can expect a custom solution from me before the week is out. Please let me know if anyone is interested.

9. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I would be interested in a tripod mount version. Coming out of the 3D printer, what would the material be ?