1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Buying a used A7 - things to look out for?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by jpfigueiredo, Jan 15, 2015.

1. jpfigueiredo

jpfigueiredo TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2015
    Leiria, Portugal
    Hello, everyone.

Coming from a Nikon D600, I'll finally be buying a Sony A7 this weekend - a used one.

Since I'll be doing the business in hand with the seller, I was wondering if you could give me some tips of things to look out for when doing some tests.
    (I'm not talking about the general stuff, but more things specific to the A7 - maybe some common issues that these cameras may have, etc.).

As a side note, the camera still has 1 year of warranty, so I can always send the camera to Sony to correct any particular issue.

Hoping to hear some experienced opinions.
    Thank you in advance.

2. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    if the camera has any drop damage it will not be covered by sony

3. jpfigueiredo

Jan 15, 2015
    Leiria, Portugal
    If the camera has any drop damage, then I won't be buying it in the first place. ;)

Externally, the camera looks mint - I've seen photos of it. Also, it has 11,000 shutter actuations.

4. nikono

nikono TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 28, 2014
    Did the seller show a picture of the camera with visible serial number in his ad?

5. jpfigueiredo

Jan 15, 2015
    Leiria, Portugal
    No, not with the serial.

Just so we're clear, I trust the seller. That's not the issue. What I'm trying to learn is the little issues that may be specific to the A7 (like the famous "light leak", "sensor reflections", etc.).

Thank you.

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    11,000 activations? Unless you are getting this cheap, $500-$600, I don't see the point since BB has been clearing out their OB Sony cameras including the A7. When they had it in stock, it was $800 or so for the A7 kit. That comes with the standard 14 day return period and full manufacturer warranty. Even Sony has it for around $1000 refurbished when they have it in stock.

7. jpfigueiredo

Jan 15, 2015
    Leiria, Portugal
    Very different realities we live in.

Here in Portugal:

New Sony A7 body only (general electronics store): 1250€~1400€
    New Sony A7 body only (cheapest, shady online store): 1100€
    Used Sony A7 bodies: 900€~1000€

Yes, and those are EUR, not USD.

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    In my opinion 11,000 activations is not something to worry about. Most cameras are designed for at least 50k shutter activations if not more.

9. jpfigueiredo

Jan 15, 2015
    Leiria, Portugal
    That's the way I see it, too. If anything, 11,000 actuations may mean a dirtier sensor.

Thanks.

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Theoretically that is possible. I have bought my A7 new and I guess I have some 5k actuations now and I change lenses like there's no tomorrow, i.e. all the time. I cleaned the sensor a few times with a blower and that was enough so far. And if the sensor is dirty and you dare not risk cleaning it yourself, you can always have it cleaned, not a really big deal in terms of money (I think around € 40 in Holland).

11. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    I agree. If anything, I think that 50K is about half what I would expect. My point was simply that 11,000 is a lot if you can get one with 100 for a pretty low price. Thus I wouldn't pay more than $500-$600 for one with 11K. It's just like buying a car and mileage. Why pay the same for a car with higher mileage?

12. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    We do. I didn't realize you were in Europe. The prices are much higher there. Good news though. With the rate that the Euro is falling, the Euro should be at parity with the dollar soon. So 900 euro will be the same as 900 dollars. ;)

13. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Very different realities in most of the US as well. Those Best Buy deals are far from available at all stores. I think a pretty small minority of folks really get to take advantage of them.