1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Buying a NEX-7 now?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Poki, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh guys,

I just need your help now. There's a €620 (including shipping) NEX-7 up for grabs on ebay again, this time with 'no signs of usage', however with a 'slightly dissolving screen'. Already googled the screen issue, it seems to be fairly common and can be repaired by yourself pretty cheap and within 10 minutes.

Question now is: Should I buy a camera that's 25 (!) months old since it's introduction? I'm already quite happy with the image quality of my NEX-5, so I'm sure I'd be happy with the 7, and the things I miss most are better controls and a VF. As for WiFi - I would love to have it, but not in a as poor implementation as can be seen on the NEX-6, and it's not a deal breaker.

What could the extra wait and money be worth? Basically, there are two things that would make me regret not having waited for a successor - a camera with a higher MP count (like 32 or 36 MP) or a better EVF. As for the MP - I personally doubt this would happen as most of their FF cameras don't have more MP either. As for the EVF - did anybody have a chance to compare the NEX-7 EVF to an A7/r or a Olympus E-M5 - and are these EVFs significantly better?

As for money - I suppose a successor would cost somewhere between €999 and €1199, which definitely means I can't buy both - the Touit 50 and the camera body. With the price of a used NEX-7 I might be able to afford both, especially if the Touit really only becomes available february or later.

What would you do? What's your opinion about the NEX-7 two years later? And to all NEX-7 owners - what's the thing you like the least on your camera?

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    There is always a new camera coming out. I assume you are referring to the A7 coming out.

I am currently saving and will be shopping for either a 6 or 7 for Christmas. Everyone was excited for the 7 when it came out and thought that it could not get any better.

3. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Not interested in A7 whatsoever, just knowing there will be a newer model in probably less than 6 months. Still, for the price it still seems like a great deal, so I might just buy it now.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Is this (Nex-7 succesor) a certainty? I mean, I thought Sony completely drop off the Nex-line with the new A7/7R...

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No, they didn't. Talked to Sony dealers quite a bit about that, and everybody reassured me Sony will continue to sell both, APS-C and FF E-Mount cameras, as well as there will be more high-end APS-C specific E-Mount lenses from Sony and Zeiss. Makes sense too - APS-C systems always will be smaller than their FF equivalents, and giving up on such a great line of lenses now just because they try to attract a bigger part of the market wouldn't make sense.

Still, just bought the NEX-7. Still can send it back as the ebay seller is a well-known german retailer, so I'll see once I hold it in my hands.

• Like Like x 1
  6. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Sony will release FF dslr replacements and also apsc mirrorless cameras. However the question is if they will continue on the rangefinder looking nex shape... Already a3000 replaced the nex-3n at the local Walmart, sitting next to entry level Canikon dslrs.... It looks like everybody is going after retro OMD looking cameras.

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That's a good point. I don't believe they'll get rid of the (imo) best form factor for cameras, but only time will tell. Anyway, I should be satisfied for the next three years with the 7, hopefully.

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Congratulations, Poki! I look forward to seeing what you create with it.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    We really don't have a definitive answer, but it only makes sense that they would continue both. I would be really surprised that the first really successful APS-C maker would abandon the line, just when others are starting into it.

10. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Buy it. Use it for a couple of months. Just sell it for a little loss later. A camera like that will never go really cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  11. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That price is definately right!!! They have been selling for 500gbp used for a little while (after the A7/R announcement) which is about 600€ and that's the price range in my opinion these will settle after the A7/7Rs start shipping to the rest of the world

12. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    IMHO the current NEX-7 on discount should be a super deal. Many key performance parameters are already pretty close to being maxxed out - especially resolution.

An updated model will inevitably offer minor improvements in many aspects. (I'd be particularly curious to see how the latest & greatest processing engine might affect color rendering, DR and high ISO.) And of course there will be a lot more bells & whistles. Whether this all adds up to being worth spending many extra hundreds of dollars (or euros) is up to you.

Another thing worth noting is that a discounted NEX-7 will likely have a much nicer control layout & build quality than a brand new less advanced body.

If I were starting over from scratch, this being a particularly lean winter, for me a closeout or used NEX-7 would be a very serious contender.

13. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Just saw the EVF eyepiece is not included. Can it be used comfortably without it? And if not - are there good replacements out there?

14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It "can" be used without the eyepiece hood, but in bright light it doesn't work very well. I assume you can order a replacement from Sony, and I remember reading (somewhere) that someone swapped out his NEX-7 hood for a slightly larger one from one of the Alpha DLSTs. Not having the hood would make that NEX-7 much less pleasurable to use, IMO.

15. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I just bought a replacement on amazon for 12.00

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

16. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Unfortunately they are nowhere available here, even Sony themselves only list them as "discontinued" and doesn't sell them here ... However, I might try getting one of the RX1 eyecups, they're said to be much better and also fit the NEX-7 perfectly.

17. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    If you don't have any luck send me a pm and I'll buy one for you and send it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Thank you for that offer! I'll give Sony a call first, maybe they have one lying around somewhere. The big eyecup supplied with the RX1 EVF looks comfortable, but there's no way I pay them 200 bucks for this piece of plastic ...

19. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  20. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Sounds like a good reason to keep saving and see what might come out in the Spring. That's my plan.

Tony