Buying a lens with the following issues...bad idea?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Aug 15, 2014.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    The item description is B]Faint scattered front element scratches and a little internal haze/dust revealed by pen light inspection.[/B]

This is a Canon FD 80-200mm F4L lens selling for $150 plus shipping so it is selling at about half price of normal selling prices if not a bit less. But I am scared about the haze part...will it get worst...all those things.
    So maybe its wiser to wait and save more for a mint copy?
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    Everyone has to deal with their own expectations and standards...speaking for myself, I would not risk / waste time with it.
    I hunted mine for 3-4 months until I found one that was listed in mint condition and it was / continues to be a stellar, go-to lens.
    It stays on 1 NEX-7...Canon FDn 300/4.0-L is mounted on the other one...use them virtually every day for nature / wildlife shots.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Ask for the seller to shohot some raw files with the lens and inspect the images.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    The dust probably would not be an issue, especially if it's light. The Haze...that is the subjective part. I'd probably avoid buying it if it had haze unless it was for a very cheap price. If it's on the edge, you may not see anything but the fact is that you might have a problem trying to sell it later if you decide to move on. Most people want to have a 'mint' copy but it highly unlikely that a copy with some minor issues will ever show up in a photo.

From my understanding, Haze is usually lubricants that evaporate and then end up on the lens elements. Only issue is that that sometimes the cement between the lens elements degrading may also look like haze too which would be a bigger issue.
  5. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Knowing how picky I can be, I guess I better pass on it. :)
  6. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I'm always surprised how little internal dust or scratches on the front element seem to effect the photos.

Scratches on the rear element on the other hand, those are definitely noticeable.