1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Buying a 5r or 6 this week

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by FatDadddy, Feb 17, 2013.

1. FatDadddy

FatDadddy TalkEmount Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Dave
    I'm new to the forum and done w point and shoots. I've researched dig cameras till I'm blue. Wife said DSLR too big but I don't want to compromise pixels and go w a PnS. I've never used a EVF. For those coming from PnS world is it something that would improve my picture taking? To be honest the flash on the top of the 5r looks awkward. Thanks you guys. I'll be asking you guys some ISO and tips for using the new camera outside of the Auto mode!

2. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Coming from DSLR's, I got the NEX-6 because it's closer to a DSLR since it has the EVF and more controls on the camera. The NEX-7 takes that a little further but at a price. I am very happy with my NEX-6 though I find that I rarely use the EVF. It's nice that it's there if I want it, but I rather like using the screen for most of my shooting. Knowing this now, I'd still go with the 6 because of the hotshoe and built in flash.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    We all got our start somewhere, Dave. Don't worry about what you should be doing, just do what you want to do. If you enjoy it, and are eager to get better at it, the learning comes naturally, and is easy.

The EVF is great for old farts like me who grew up with them. But it's also great in bright sunlight, when the LCD tends to get washed out. Go with what works for you. It's all good.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, what ^^^he^^^ said. Rephrased a bit- "Tis better to have a EVF and not need it, than to need a EVF and not have it."

Welcome to the forum, welcome to the NEX. :)

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, I agree about the EVF.
    For me the viewfinder helps you frame/compose your shot better since your view isn't abstracted...
    Plus, its very helpful when shooting in bright sunlight

This is the main reason I want to upgrade from my 5 to a 6 or 7

Welcome ;)

6. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    Welcome to NEX. I had 6 and ended up downgrade to 5R but both are very capable. 6 has mode dial, evf, and built in flash over 5R. Mode dial was very handy but I personally shoot in av mode the most so it wasn't a deal breaker. I try not to use flash and realized i will be ok without an EVF. It was really sunny one day and I wished I kept 6 for an EVF but I managed to take great pictures via LCD. I had the camera for two weeks now and often I bring the camera to my right eye and get bummed out there's no viewfinder, a habit I acquired using a DSLR.

None the less I love 5R, it is what I wanted-smallest interchangeable so I can carry it everywhere and take more pictures!

I'd recommend 6 if you are set on it. Unlike me who's goal is to get the smallest interchangeable camera you can get, 6 looks and feels much better built to me.

You will be very happy with either of them though :)
    Welcome to NEX!

Sent from my Nexus 7

7. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I bet both are fine bodies. I had 5N, 6 and 7, so my take on it would be that I never used the EVF, BUT love that its there, in case 1) it's bright and sunny, and 2) (don't laugh at this one) I want to appear more serious or be removed from the scene/subject for whatever reason). The built-in flash from the 6/7 are very very good, IF you're ready to shoot a bit awkwardly keeping them pushed back with a finger, if not the add-on unit of the smaller bodies have cheapo diffusers you can mount on and that work wonders.
    Bascially image quality is very similar across the whole NEX range so no need to agonize over that.
    I think we all agree here that the best way to start getting control and improve is to shoot A mode, and auto everything else (WB and ISO). A controls aperture so lets you digest the most important part of photography, how opening and closing your aperture impacts the depth of field of your picture. Also, make sure to shoot what you LOVE, and post your pics for advice. If you like landscape take the little camera with you everywhere and just shoot a lot ! Portraits, follow your wife, kids, pets around and shoot them. Flowers, fruits, dolls, artsy stuff, whatever. Just pick something that float your boat and go from there. You'll find plenty of friendly advice on this board so don't be shy and just jump in ;)

8. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I came from PnS cameras (phones really) to the NEX. I started with the 5n. I was happy because the quality of the results were so much better than I was used to. I didn't have any real problems with the controls as I really didn't know any better though I found them a little fiddly. I moved to the NEX-7 and it changed everything for me mostly due to the viewfinder. I love the isolation that the viewfinder gives me when I shoot. For a DSLR user this is nothing new but for me, it opened up a whole different way of 'seeing'. The controls on the 7 are easy to use so I don't have to move my eye off the viewfinder to change settings. I doubt I'd be able to do that with the 5n and with the add-on viewfinder as well. The 5r has a function button that the 5n doesn't, so I assume it's a little easier in this regard and the NEX-7 is probably easier than the NEX-6, so it was a big difference for me. There was also a difference in how I felt shooting. The 5n felt much like a PnS with a lot more control but the 7 (and I guess NEX-6) feels like a "real" camera. Now remember, I have no DSLR experience to compare this to.

An important part of this from your question is that I don't think my photos are any better with the NEX-7 than with the 5n. Any progress I've made is do to experience shooting and what I've learned form this great forum not from the change in camera. However, I enjoy using the NEX-7 a whole lot more and this means I use it more. I find more excuses to shoot photos. I can't believe I've gotten up before dawn to catch light. My friends are worried about me.

I would suggest you go with the NEX-6. If you get the 5r you'll be happy with the results but if you get the bug, then after a couple of months you'll be looking into the cost of the viewfinder anyway. The NEX-6 has everything you would need.

Now be clear what you want to shoot if you can. I'm not shooting kids and action shots so the NEX turned out perfect for me. I didn't really know before I got the NEX what my shooting interests would be but since I don't have small children or pets and I'm far to lazy for general action, it wasn't an issue for me. I would not recommend the NEX if it's pictures of a toddler you are interested in taking. Go to a DSLR for that or another mirrorless camera with better AF speed that others here can recommend.

Once you buy the camera, be very patient before you buy more lenses. Stick with the kit zoom and learn how to use the camera and pay attention to what focal length you like to use. (it will be in EXIF data) Everybody is different and each of us has a different 'eye'. You should find yours before you invest in lenses. Then you'll make better decisions.

One more thing. I'm not up-to-date on the pricing but I understand the NEX-7 has come down quite a bit and when the NEX-7 successor is announced (soon I think), the price should drop more. I would never trade my used NEX-7 for a brand new NEX-6.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

9. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    That's a pretty accurate statement. Before the NEX, I had and shot 4 different DSLR's and now with the NEX-6, I don't feel like I really downgraded at all. It still feels very much like a serious camera to me albeit smaller, but still a serious piece of photography equipment. You should be able to find a used NEX-6 for $650-700 right now and the NEX-7 for not a lot more with prices dropping.

10. Peter Zapp

Peter Zapp TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 3, 2013
    EVF is not only nice for framing in bright sunlight, but also for manual focusing (when peaking or magnification does not work), for people otherwise needing reading glasses, for reviewing images (loupe and light table in the field) and for using heavier lenses or longer shutter speeds. For all that holding your camera (and lens) at eye level, but 30cm away from your face (and eyes), does not work out well.

11. FatDadddy

FatDadddy TalkEmount Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Dave
    Wow....thanks you to all that replied. Very friendly forum! I'll let you know what I pick up. Going to Maui in summer for our anniversary ,excited to capture that time. One last question( for now) seems a lot of concern over AF. 5r or 6 same in that regard?

12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yep, same system, different package. Enjoy Maui, post lots of pics when you get back. :)

13. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Hi Dave,

You can have an EVF either way. I had a 5N with a EVF. While the EVF was a nice addition, the build quality isn't the greatest. I broke mine when I accidentally sat on it. So there's a fair amount of user error too. :)

I think the 6 is a great camera for many demographics. Simple enough to learn, advanced enough to develop. I'd recommend the 6 over 5R. The grip on the 6 is better than 5R for me.

I like using Aperture Priority or Shutter Speed Priority modes. If you have your camera set to Aperture Priority mode, you select the aperture and the camera adjusts the shutter speed and ISO if set to Auto ISO. Same idea with the shutter speed priority. Also, I'm a fan of prime lenses. They force me to move my feet, think about composition more than zoom lenses do.

You ended up in the right place. This is a great, respectful community of NEX users.

Yohan