1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Buyer Beware update on "Gadget Circuit", NJ / USA

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Aug 31, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Late last year "Gadget Circuit" sold me a NEX-7 camera body.
    It turned out that it was a version 50i that has video design intended for use in Europe, not the US.
    Same Sony advertising, same Sony box...no mention of it being a grey market product, or one being designed for use in Europe.
    I bought it in good faith the same way I bought my first NEX-7 (a normal 60i version for the USA) through Amazon last summer.

When I finally discovered it as I began to explore Video, I immediately began trying to contact Gadget Circuit, spending considerable time calling them, leaving detailed phone messages, referencing the online purchase order records in their own system, sending many detailed Emails, etc, over the course of 3 months.
    Not once did Gadget Circuit ever respond / acknowledge in any way to the dozens of various means by which I contacted them...not once. And to me, that alone completely removes any question but what their intentions were deliberate deception / dishonest.

I then turned to PayPal to see what / if any recourse might be available through them, but unfortunately by the time I exhausted efforts to deal with Gadget Circuit directly, the time window for any possible PayPal intervention had closed. PayPal was sympathetic, and made note of the complaint about Gadget Circuit in their files...but there was no longer any means for them to bring pressure to bear on Gadget Circuit.

So based on this experience, a word to the wise about dealing with a place called Gadget Circuit in NJ / USA.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Bring it up with your c/c - assuming you paid with c/c via Paypal - they may help out, not sure though. Doesn't hurt to try.

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Tried that route as well...the same issue as with PayPal...the 'time window' had closed.
    Bought it September...used it a lot for regular photos through the holidays, then when I started getting into video after Christmas I made the discovery. By the time I tried to deal with Gadget Circuit, it was out into February / March and there's a 90day window IIRC during which time places like PayPal and CCs operate with for things like this...whatever the time window was, it had elapsed.

And the reason I thought to mention it again just now to possibly forewarn others...is that I just received a big "Labor Day Sale" Email from them. I'm sure you know companies kick those sales off to Email addresses in their sales history data-bases, proving they have my purchase record, and my contact info to have sent the Labor Day Sale Email to me. Yet they 100% ducked any reply of any nature to all my attempts to discuss the situation with them via phone or Email for weeks on end.

The good news is the NEX-7 camera works perfectly, use it all the time...have even shot videos with it and they play back fine on the PC, on YouTube, etc...apparently the rub would be a compatibility problem if I tried to connect / view the videos on a USA made TV compared to a TV made in Europe.

Never-the-less...I despise dishonest business practices and am understandably disgusted with Gadget Circuit.
    I had a good chuckle forwarding their 'Labor Day Sale' Email back to their "customer Service" section...and I use that term loosely...reminding them of my order history, and telling them they need to have their business padlocked and be put in jail...LOL.

4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Post a complaint on eSelleeratings

• Like Like x 1