1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Buy Sony FE 55mm 1.8 or not?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by tokayto, Feb 21, 2015.

1. tokayto

tokayto TalkEmount Regular

May 25, 2014
    Hi!

I have A7 and i really like to use manual lenses. I enjoy that much more than autofocus. I am a bokeh fan by the way.

My lenses are;

Canon FDn 24mm 2.8
    Canon FDn 50mm 1.8
    Canon FD 50mm 1.4
    Minolta MD 50mm 1.4
    Minolta MD 50mm 1.7
    Minolta MC Rokkor 50mm and 55mm 1.7
    Helios 44-2 58mm f2
    Jupiter 9 80mm f2
    Minolta MC Rokkor 135mm 2.8

I really like the sharpness of FE 55mm and I don't see so many negative comments about it.

Do you think that it is worth the money? Do you recommend the FE 55mm even i have these manual lenses?

I have no kit lens, do you think that it can be a better choice if I buy a kit lens? Cause I take pictures and sell them as stock photos. I am not pro at it, just learning and having fun.

What would you do? Which lens would you get?

2. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    The sharpness is amazing but I sold mine as I'm old and prefer the
    feel of the old, manual focus lenses. I might try the Loxia personally.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    If you want the sharpest, nicest autofocus normal lens available for FE, the 55 is a no-brainer. I have a number of very nice 50's (leica R Cron and Contax/Zeiss 50/1.4 being the former favorites), but I almost only ever use the 55 these days. It's simply that good.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

• Like Like x 1
  4. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    I was using an old Pentax 55mm f1.8 before I got my FE 55. Besides autofocus, the FE has much better colors as well as sharpness at f1.8. The Pentax had that "dreamy" softness that a lot of old lenses have wide open. Modern multi-coatings on the FE also eliminate flare much better.

5. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Well, only you can decide, based on the look and what type of subjects you shoot. If your criteria for a 50mm lens is principally sharpness, and you are not getting that from your existing 50s, then get the zeiss 50 or the Loxia 50.

Easy.

6. NightBird

NightBird TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2014
    If you need autofocus, the FE 55 1.8 seem an obvious choice, particularly if sharpness if more paramount to you. If not, I personally love the SMC Takumar 55mm 1.8, which is 'sharp enough' for me, particularly when you stop down just a little.

7. burgboy

burgboy New to TalkEmount

Jul 1, 2013
    Worth every penny of yours. Highly recommended for this.

8. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    The 55/1.8 on my A7II is my new favorite combo. I'd buy them all over again. The 55 is as sharp as any of my Nikons.

• Like Like x 1
  9. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    It's a lovely lens but af is not the fastest so bear that in mind :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013

Is that a function only the lens, or the camera though?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

• Like Like x 1
  11. tokayto

tokayto TalkEmount Regular

May 25, 2014
    I got the 55mm :) i got it from someone but the lens looks so new. There is no difference between this lens and a new one from store. This is the sharpest lens i have ever seen. I like the bokeh, its really nice for 1.8

12. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I have the 55 and the Loxia. I use them both and love them both. But, If I had to choose one, it would be the Loxia.

The Loxia is my "walking around" lens. It's on the camera by default. I use the 55 for environmental portraits. One of its advantages is the "eye" focus; available, of course, only on auto-focus lenses. And, the 55 is a bit faster.

• Like Like x 1
  13. vmwelt

vmwelt TalkEmount Regular

Mar 10, 2015
    New York - St. Petersburg - Shanghai
    Vlad Meytin
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I've tried and tested a dozen old nifty fifties and the FE55 is absolutely blowing me away. The sharpness and contrast are amazing from wide open and the BOKEH is so much better!

The biggest challenge for me is getting used to autofocus again. Seems to take some research and practice - not unlike manual focus. I'm actually glad to have it, though because it enables a whole different shooting style (can extend the camera closer to the subject in positions that would make manual focusing with the viewfinder very awkward). Hopefully it won't be too much of a hinderance in lower light (I'm sure I'll be keeping a few fast manual lenses just in case).

robbie-1.

• Like Like x 3
  15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, it was when I saw the results I was getting from the 55 vs. my old (Japanese Summilux) Canon LTM 50 f/1.4 that I finally asked myself why I was messing around with all of these legacy manual focus lenses and adapters. :hmmm:

16. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    if youre a bokeh fan then why not the mitakon 50 f.95 batlens? a stop and a half definitely makes a difference

17. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    There's quantity and then there's quality. I'll take this somewhat reduced quantity of "smooth" and/or "buttery" BOKEH over the "busy" and "nervous" blur I've experienced with the faster lenses I've tried thus far. (Not saying this is necessarily THE best BOKEH lens of all time, but I am becoming quite partial to the way these Sonnar lenses seem to do it.)

18. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    The Zeiss 55/1.8 bokeh is just right. DSC02600. DSC02623. DSC02627. DSC02653.

• Like Like x 4