Buy Helios lens from

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by izzikiorage, Dec 19, 2015.

1. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Am planning to buy a helios lens for my sony NEX 6. has anyone used the website to buy it? Is it a good place to get the lens? I'll be shipping it to India

Also are these lenses new? Or refurbished? The site does mention a 12 month warranty
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    I know Helios-40-2 85mm 1.5 restarted production in 2013 after it got recognition and was getting good prices for used ones in ebay. Maybe they restarted production on this one too, but usually this is one of the cheapest Russian lenses. You can check with them. From google search, they say it was the kit lens for the Russian Zenit cameras and produced in millions from 1958 until 1992... There is a good list of all the versions here:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    That seems cool... Let me check out
  4. jayt90

jayt90 New to TalkEmount

Dec 20, 2015
    The first 2 numbers on the serial # indicate the year of manufacture.
    You can get the lens for less on eBay, but no warranty. It is built like a tank, however.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    The problem with Helios is that they did not have good QC. Some of the lenses were soft / decentered. Mine was pretty soft and "glowy" wide open and no amount of PP would fix this. It would still produce the famous "swirly" bokeh. Built like tank indeed, but optically a hit or miss.

If I was looking for another one I'd either try to get it really cheap, or buy it from another photog with a gallery I could evaluate.
    • Like Like x 1