Butterfly Bush Challenge, Part 1: Epic Fail

Discussion in 'Nature' started by TonyTurley, Jun 30, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    See the Butterfly Bush flowers? What you don't see is one of the things I was trying to capture: a Hummingbird Moth. I actually snapped a pic of one with my Sony H20 last year, but doing it with a MF lens turns out to be much more difficult than I expected. 90 minutes I stood next to my tripod, with the Nex-5R + Vivitar 100-200mm trained on a cluster of flowers. 3 times during that period a Hummingbird Moth swooped in from nowhere, buzzed from flower to flower, and zoomed away just as quickly. One even went to the cluster next to the one on which I was focused. I quickly turned the tripod and started to refocus, only to have the moth zip away - to the cluster from which I had just moved away! I tried to swing back and refocus quickly, but it took off for parts unknown. I'll get the pic, but it appears it will take longer than I thought. I just hope I don't end up like Thomas Edison, trying 10,000 times before succeeding.

Tony

Attached Files:

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Persistence will pay off eventually. ;)

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Keep at it, Tony. Even Joe DiMaggio only got a hit three out of ten times.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't. The good thing is that you got a nice picture of the flower.

Very annoying though

5. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I'm no insect expert. Indeed 95% of my insect photos are blurred. But the one thing that works for me is shooting handheld, prefocused and then change focus by moving the camera forwards or backwards. I tend so set aperture a bit smaller than usual to get more depth of focus, say f/3.5-5.6. That way I have a reasonable chance to track flying insects. Not saying it's the only or best method, but it's the one that works for me.

Though I agree that the flower shot is great too!

6. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks guys. I'll try again this evening if it doesn't rain - again.

Tony

7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I know Marilyn Monroe was one, who were the other two?

Keep at it Tony and as davect01 said, look at what you did get. A really gorgeous photo of the flower.

8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks Colin.