Butterflies on Coneheads - Canon FDn 200/4.0 Macro Lens - NEX-7

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Jun 30, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Great captures!!!
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    You are getting pretty good at the bug shots. :)
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    And I'd like to tell both of you that I simply parked my car, walked over to a flower, snapped one shot, and went home. But then I woke up from my dream, drove to the Arboretum, and reality was quite different as you well know...LOL.
    They're are constantly moving looking for nectar, and its worse if the current set of flowers in a given week is past their prime and the nectar is basically gone for a few days...they're just constantly flitting around from flower to flower on those days...I'd no sooner get one dialed in nice and sharp and start pressing the shutter when it would disappear from view hopping over to a different flower...or the swirling wind would start moving the flowers around and by the time I waited for calm to get sharp focus, the butterfly would have moved on, etc.

PS: These trips like yesterday's, have really made it clear in my mind, the benefit of a ball head under those constantly moving conditions...as it is, it's pick up / shift the tripod a little, but then there may be a little tilt to scramble and straighten up...then the flower / butterfly might be lower or higher so I scramble to find / change the lens orientation...to say nothing or having to refocus of course...I probably look like a fast action one armed paper hanger trying to get all that re-configured in seconds just because some butterfly decided to try another flower a couple feet off to the side, LOL.
    So I treasure any final photo or two I end up with that's respectable enough to keep / post.
  5. Senya

Senya TalkEmount Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Minsk, Belarus
    Beautiful creatures
    • Agree Agree x 1