1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bungled it badly

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TonyTurley, Sep 6, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I hurried to work this morning to catch the early flight of our largest scheduled aircraft, an A319. I've been shooting a lot with the Rokkor 30cm lately, trying to get a good feel for its handling, but I'm still having trouble consistently tracking fast moving targets. It was a major blunder to use the big Rokkor this morning, as the conditions were absolutely perfect: there was a layer of fog laying over the airport, and the sun had literally just crested the horizon. I could hear the A319 spooling up, and as it got closer, I could barely see it moving along the runway, and the A319 accelerates very, very fast. I sort of panicked trying to acquire a lock on its location with the narrow FOV. I never got a fix on it, and as it lifted above the fog into the sunshine, I missed it completely. By the time I swung around to catch it, the moment had passed, and the photos I did get were bland and lifeless. I just deleted them in disgust when I looked at them on the computer.

This was a once-in-a-lifetime moment, and I face-planted myself. I may never see that flight, the fog, and the newly risen sun in just that way again. I had the Sakar 135 in my bag, but I was going to be clever and get a close-up as the A319 lifted out of the fog. My gut is sick just thinking about it.

Tony

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Ah, so it goes, Tony. As Mickey Rooney said: You always pass failure on your way to success. Once in a lifetime shot? I bet you'll miss (and catch) hundreds of them before you're done shooting.

3. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks for the pep talk, David. I hope you're right. I'm still rather ticked with myself.

Tony

4. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I know the feeling, but I can tell you from experience that you will encounter other marvelous moments in the future that will be very satisfying, so don't let it keep you down.

(I had an hour or so in 1975 at a Formula 1 event that literally could never be duplicated again no matter how many years you waited - close-up shots of Juan Manuel Fangio at speed in the W196 Mercedes in which he won the 1955 World Championship, participating in a "race" with other famous drivers. I then discovered that the film had not caught properly on the take-up reel, and nothing had been caught on film even though I had pushed the shutter button 36 times. :( I still miss those "lost" images, but I have many other images of other subjects that have given me a lot of satisfaction. Life does those sort of things to us.)

- Tom -

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Wow, Tom, that one would hurt. My wife says I am much too hard on myself, because I expect myself to perform at a high level, and don't tolerate my mistakes well. After thinking about it, and looking at the weather forecast, I'll probably have two more chances early next week to get that shot. The fog and sun may not be just so, but I'll do the best I can, and use a lens more appropriate for such a shot.

Tony

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Bummer. But you shrug your shoulders and carry on. I can't count the times I've witnessed a scene that would have made a stunning photograph had I merely lifted the camera to take the shot instead of standing there with my mouth hanging open in total awe.

7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
  8. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Just move on Tony ;) The amount of shots I've missed I don't want to think about and then, I look at the unique shots I do have and that's what its all about, not so much what you didn't get. Trust me, I know how you feel mate, but just move on and you will get plenty of shots that are just as unique.

Never let it throw you off balance too much, if we do, we don't push forward. The shots I get now days, I would never had thought possible when I first started and that's the truth !!, LOL.

All the best Tony, think about what you will get in next 12 months.

Danny.

9. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I'm over it, guys, but thanks for the encouragement. I was pretty upset at myself at the time, and maybe my words were a bit histrionic. I just came back from a 10.5 mile hike, and feel pretty good. Pics later.

Tony

10. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    One day we will sit down with a beer and exchange stories mate :) Good attitude Tony ;)

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Yup I've missed some shots too - worst ones missed were family ones....