• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Bugs

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
I have not been shooting a lot lately but a couple of images from the past few weeks.

A6000 and 50mm Minolta Macro. This big bug was sitting under my porch light and I just had to snap a few images

---            

And this bee caught my eye while I had the 70-150mm Vivitar handy

---            

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
I bet you guys never saw a horse quite like this one...
DSC08018crop.JPG
   ---            

That's my leg it is standing on.

I totally failed to get good focus with an extension ring, but it is useful here to show the scale These are both 100% crops.
DSC08015crop.JPG
   ---            

The exif seems to have got lost in the cropping. a6500, Sigma 30/1.4. ISO 400.

(OK, I confess, it is not a horse, nor even the tiniest of ponies, but some wort of mantis. A tiny baby some-sort-of-mantis)

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Do you know what it is? It kind of looks like a cross between a misquito and a praying mantis, lol.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
I've seen one or two strange mantises (mantids?) here over the years. One was a leaf mantis: would have been very hard to spot on a bush, but it was on a wall.

My hunch is that they hatch as adults and grow, shedding skin like a spider does. Don't know how big this little thing might get, but would guess that it is a youngster. Cute, eh? My guess is also that most of them end up as bird food. Not so cute, but that's nature. This thing didn't seem hot on running-away skills. Only the other day I was marvelling that, straight out of the egg, tiny geckoes know to run away!

I wish I'd picked up the macro lens, but it is rather heavy and manual, and this thing was moving around quite a bit. At least auto-focus gave me a few snaps.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
I found the little fellow(ess) on the steps again today, and fetched the camera with with the Tamron SP 90/2.5 macro. I also thought of using the flash, especially as the creature was quite active. It was trying to climb the painted concrete, and not succeeding. I took it and put it on a leaf. It seemed more content, even washing its face, which I'm suspecting is a good thing in insect body language!

DSC08023small.JPG
ILCE-6500    ----    0mm    f/1.0    1/160s    ISO 1600

DSC08031small.JPG
ILCE-6500    ----    0mm    f/1.0    1/100s    ISO 400

DSC08037.JPG
ILCE-6500    ----    0mm    f/1.0    1/60s    ISO 500

The Tamron is a 1:2 macro. These images are cropped, but not nearly as much as the previous ones. Actually, the cropped Sigma 30mm pics are pretty good and the lens is so much easier to use!

joele

New to TalkEmount
Real Name
Joel
I got this mantis while sitting at my desk when we were in stage 3 lockdown.. was a nice distraction... It was strongly backlit shooting out window, so I used an off camera flash off to the right.

mantis_small.png
   ---            

Shooting at f22 showed up a lot of dust on my sensor, lol (shot with Laowa 100mm macro)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom