Budget flash option Neewer

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Imasphere, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Imasphere

Imasphere TalkEmount Regular

Jan 22, 2014
    I am looking into getting into flash photography with my Nex 6 but I'm on a very limited budget. I came across a blog where the photographer was successfully using a Neewer tt560 flash on a Nex6. No ttl and fastest usable sync speed is 1/160. Has anyone used this flash? I know it is rather bulky but it is very cheap and I think it could make a very good slave flash if I decide to upgrade to a better flash later on. Any input would be appreciated. I also looked at the Neewer tt660. This one is even bulkier but it has ttl function. Does anyone know if ttl would work with the Nex6?

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I have Godox TT520 and it works ok (Godox is the company behind Neewer brand). The real guide numbers are somewhat lower what is advertised but even GN 40 and 2 stops wasted on umbrella provides enough light for portable studio use. There are lots of choices in powerful manual flashes, see Youngnuo too. Absolutely cheapest choice is Wansen WS-560. that is with manual flashes with enough power and usable power adjustment.

I think that TT660 is manual only, TT680 is the TTL model and for Canon but Godox home page doesn't have info about it.

3. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
    Thanks, I will check out the Younguo too but most reviews seem to say that the build of the Neewer is better. Glad to know the tt520 is working well for you.

4. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    I have a couple of Godox/Neewer V850 flashes and I loved them.
    http://flashhavoc.com/godox-v850-ving-review/

Two main reasons why I picked the V850:
    1. Lithium battery. They claimed it lasts 600 shots per battery. I haven't used it that much continuously, but it does last a long time and recycle time is FAST.
    2. A set of radio transmitter/receiver is only $25 and you can remotely change the power level. The transmitter will plug directly onto A7/A6000 multi interface hot shoe without any adapter. It only uses the center pin.

Build quality is very good, no complain there.

As far as I know, Godox doesn't have any flash yet that supports Sony TTL. All manual.

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    If I would start flash photography now V850 would be obvious choice. However it costs about 100 Euro and Wansen WS-560 is only 30 Euro. V850 is worth it's price as there is no need for external battery or even spare batteries. If they make Sony TTL compatible V860 I will purchase it.

6. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
  7. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
    The the v850 really looks like an amazing flash. The only thing that is keeping me from buying it is the fact that it does not have ttl. I am definitely considering it though. Chrid, I did hear about the Nissin i40. It is a bit out of my budget for now but it is the flash I will definitely get in the future unless other options are better by then. I am basically looking for a manual flash for now which I would eventually use as a secondary flash in the future. The question I am debating now is do I go with the cheaper tt560 or do I go with the v850? A Sony ttl v860 would definitely be great.

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that TTL is nice to have if you have flash on camera but it isn't useful for off camera use. A on camera flash doesn't have to be very powerful unless you want to use HSS in bright light. Big flash in a small body is awkward to use but you can upgrade to a small TTL flash later or get a more powerful one like i40 (that is pretty powerful for a such a small flash).

TT560 costs about 35 Euro from Ebay and V850 about 100 Euro. I think that V850 offers much more for the money (it is kind of speedlite with integrated power pack having all the positive things of external power pack [fast recycling, plenty of shots from same power pack]) without the negative ones (weight, cords).

V850 is much more powerful, GN58 vs. GN38. That power increase is really nice if you want to use a speedlite for general lightning in a room or want to use heavy light modifiers.

9. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
    OK you guys had me convinced. I was about to order the v850 but then checked out the specs. The weight is 410 grams without battery. Since I am planning on using it occasionally on camera won't that be too heavy for a Nex6? Anyone using this on camera?

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
  11. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
  12. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
    Has ttl but not for Nex cameras. Thanks for the info though.

13. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    As a noob when it comes to flash, I am following this thread to see what you end up with. :)

14. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    I don't have the mk-300 flash but I researched and considered it as a small travel fill-flash option. Looking at the package, I saw that it comes with the MI shoe adapter so it should work on any Sony camera with MI shoe too.

15. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
    Finally decided to get the tt560 because my budget is too tight. I do think the v850 gives you the best bang for the buck though bit since I'm also a newbie to flash photography I thought I'd go really cheap at first and then opt for something better later.

16. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    That isn't a bad choice. You will have lots of use for it even if you upgrade to V850 later on. One off camera flash is nice to have but 2-3 even so. All of them don't need to be very powerful either. For example a small flash works perfectly as a background light.

TT560 is powerful enough for a umbrella, even the type with reflective inside and diffuser cloth. It won't work with a lambency diffuser in a large room but will work in a small room but you may have to boos ISO.

For a on camera flash a small TTL flash is perfect.

17. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
    Yeah that's what I thought. I will start out with the cheaper flash and if I really get into it will buy the v850 ant keep the 560 as a secondary. By the way, for those flash photography newbies like me, here is a really amazing and in depth blog on how to strobe light.
    http://strobist.blogspot.nl/2006/03/lighting-101.html?m=1

18. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Is there a specific version that works with our nex cameras? I want to get the same one for my nex-6 :)

19. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
    I think both flashes will work and a few posters here are saying they are using them with no problem not sure on which camera though but they will probably work on any Nex or Alpha camera. I just ordered the flash on Amazon yesterday and will be receiving it only in a week or two. Keep in mind that these are manual flashes though so you will not get ttl which automatically adjusts flash power to your lens and camera settings. You will have to manually adjust the flash power to your desired intensity. You might want to get an external trigger with it which is what I did in order to position the flash off camera. You could also use the slave mode with the on camera flash in order to trigger it instead. I also got a bracket in order to put it on camera. I really agree with xxx1 though, if you can afford the v850 go for it. It's not that expensive either it's just that I'm a bit broke right now. Go read the link which I posted above, it's really in depth and explains everything.

20. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    I strongly recommend getting a system where you can change power level remotely.

Once you get flash off camera and start playing with modifier (umbrella, softbox, etc.), they will save you lots of time and frustration.
    Imagine running to the flash stand, lower the flash, change power level, raise flash backup, take a shot, repeat....and having to do that for 2 or more flashes in a more complicated setup.

One of the cheapest option: YN-560TX + YN-560 III flash
    http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn-560-iii-review/

the next one up would be Godox V850.

Spend a little more now and curse your way to the bank...but you will thanks me later :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1