1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

BRONICA Zenzanon E II 75mm f/2,8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Feb 6, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I am finding on the internet this lens

BRONICA Zenzanon E II 75mm f/2,8
    at a decent price. I would like to know if you ever heard about such a lens as I was not able to find many reviews.

I liked its size and how compact it make the camera look like (as well as the f/2.8)

Regards
    Alex

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Bronica was (is?) a medium format camera. So the registering depth is long and so the combination of Nex and it it's lenses quite big. It may be quite usable combination for portrait work but not very practical for everyday work. Besides I think that there is no adepter for Nex available. Resolution may be quite low too.

3. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Ben
    I've had one myself. It's for the Bronica ETR range of medium format film cameras [I use an ETRSi]. It's a good lens, a step up from the MC version although not quite as good as the later PE range [which I replaced it with].

I'm not sure of the value of using it on the Nex though, it really would be unbalanced on a Nex body. Also the relative crop factor from 645 medium format to APS-C would mean the focal length becomes an equivalent 280mm or so whilst the apparent depth of field would drop from f/2.8 to around f/7.1 - if I've got my maths right!

Still, if the price is right and you can get an adapter, give it a go and let us know how you get on!

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Your math is bit off. Focal length doesn't change, field of view does. 75 mm lens works as 115 mm would work in 35 mm but focal length doesn't chage, camera just crops it's image from the center. So it is irrelevant if the lens was intended for medium format or full frame.

Btw, does anybody have suggestion for cheap medium format lens with focal length of 40mm? Intended use is a diy pan&tilt objective.

5. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Ben
    Fair enough but that's why I wrote "equivalent"!

I don't know of many cheap 40mm m/f lenses though, being wide angle they're relative more expensive, certainly my 40mm PE cost over £150 IIRC.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yep, that is the problem. As this is going to be a toy I wont put very much money to it. Maybe I will find a suitable one some day. Wide angle enlarging lens would be ideal but medium format lens would work too. I have a 50 mm meopta enlarging lens it may have big enough image circle. It is of course a telephoto with Nex so it is of limited use.

7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Can you please explain the 35mm you wrote? If I buy this lens what I understand is that it will be covnerted to a 115mm. The price I found is quite okay so I wanted to try this as a manual lens to practice. I am not sure though if there are other things that I should take into consideration.... or where I would be able to find a converter for my nex.

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    As 35 mm film camera, I should have written.

The focal length of objectives doesn't change when you use it with adapter but field of view does if sensor/film size is different. So 75 mm medium format or full frame lens will have same field of view as a 115 mm lens in a full frame (35 mm film) camera.

There seems not to be adapters from Bronica to Nex. There may be one to M42 but the combo would be quite unpractical. Those medium format adapters tend to be quite expensive too.

Jupiter-9 will probably be much cheaper as you need one cheap adapter. There are some 70mm-210mm zooms that would be usable too but these have maximum aperture of 3.5 or 4. Or some 135mm lenses may suit your use. 85mm is unfortunately a very wanted focal length. I will get the Samyang 85mm/1.4 some day.

9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi I found
    a Jupiter-9 85mm F2 for Contax Nikon RF MINT
    at decent price... around 80pounds.

I have not found any jupiter to nex converters though...

Alex

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Jupiter is a brand of a lens maker and Jupiter 85mm/2 was available in several mounts. I think that this article describes the mount:
    Contax rangefinder lenses - Camerapedia

There seems to be adapters for it:
    Contax RF adapter (not Contax G) advice?: Sony NEX Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

And somebody is using this lens with Nex:
    Jupiter-9 black KIEV CONTAX RF 85mm SONY NEX-3

Kiev-10 mount Jupiter-9 isn't compatible with nex!

Most desirable mount is M42 but is going to cost much more:
    Jupiter 9 f2 85mm Russian lens for Sony NEX | top35mm.com
    (I don't know anything about above site).

I will purchase Samyang 85mm/1.4. I think that it is much better buy but it is much more expensive:
    Samyang 85mm f1.4 IF MC Pentax

But this isn't very high on list as I am quite satisfied Pentax 55mm/1.8 and Tamron 105mm/2.5 (and several zooms [Vivitar series 1 70-210/3.5 waits the end of chinese spring festival so that I can order the adapter for it]).

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    For this lens you would actually need a Contax Rangefinder to NEX adapter, there are many available on ebay. There are several versions of the J-9, one for m42 slr mount, one for Leica thread mount (rangefinder), and the one you've found for Contax rangefinders.

The Leica and Contax lenses are basically the same, differing only in the mount. The m42 version is much shorter and has a fatter body than the rangefinder lenses. If everything I've read online is accurate the m42 version does not perform all that well. The rangefinder lenses are pretty good though.