1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bricked my NEX6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Vincepad, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    I went to install the firmware update (1.02 to 1.03), and everything went along swimmingly. I was on OSX Mavericks - the update downloaded to my computer as expected and the start of the process was just fine.

About 75% of the way through the update (according to the progress bar), the update program told me that the process had been aborted and that I needed to remove the battery from the camera, turn it off and on again, and restart the update software. I did this several times with the same result.

Each time the process stopped, it was clear that the computer could communicate with the camera (if I didn't remove the battery, the update software couldn't find the camera, but when I did remove the battery, it was fine).

After the initial attempt at updating, however, the camera looked to be dead - no response to any user input - despite the fact that it could communicate with the computer under the right circumstances.

I attempted to do the update using a Windows 8 computer, and had zero luck getting the computer to recognize the camera at all. As of yesterday, the camera is on its way to Sony (I took it to my local pro shop to get it sent in). The local shop is expecting it to be covered by warranty based on when I bought it, but we shall see.

I'm not sure what went wrong. When I updated from 1.01 to 1.02, I had some difficulty using my Mac Pro and my MacBook Air, but I got it to work after a couple of attempts. When I get the NEX back, I'll update the a7, but I think I'll just start out using the Windows machine.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    There have been a lot of reports on dpreview on issues with doing an update with an Apple machine. It seems that it helps to shutdown all programs and background processes and everyone reported they eventually succeeded in updating their camera but sometimes that needed up to 4 tries to be successful. Nobody ended up sending in their camera to Sony, as far as I've read. Still a good idea to use a Windows machine and to leave it alone during the update.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vincepad

Dec 29, 2013
    I hadn't checked DP Review, though from previous experience, I always shut down everything and just let it go. I ended up trying about a dozen times on two different Macs with no changes, as well as four or five times on the Windows machine. Lesson learned for the future: Windows it is. Good thing we keep a couple of them around the studio.

I'm not too worried about Sony's response. I've had them help me before (I lost the eyecup to my a7), and they've gone WAY above and beyond in their service. As far as Sony is concerned, I'm just another consumer (boy that sounded bad). To get the level of service that I have gotten from Sony so far, I had to be a member of Canon's Professional Services at the highest level. All in all, I'm pretty pleased.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Glad to hear you're getting some support in this worst case scenario.

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't know about this being a Mac thing. I've updated my firmware on a couple of Sony cameras and several Panasonic cameras before that on Macs, with nary a glitch (knock wood). Of course, as with any firmware or OS update, I restart the computer first, make sure the battery in my camera is fully charged, and sit back and have a beer while the update runs.

It sounds like you took similar precautions, Vince. But I wonder if perhaps the battery on your camera drained "just enough" during the multiple attempts to finally make the process grind to a halt prematurely.

6. Vincepad

Dec 29, 2013
    That's a very reasonable question, but the first battery had been charged (and unused) a couple of days before I tried the update, and just because I had a similar suspicion, I used a very freshly charged battery after the fourth or fifth attempt. Still no love. I think I had a perfect storm of conflicts going on. I doubt it will be any trouble for Sony to fix, so I'm not worried. I just hope that I can avoid the problem when it's time to update in the future!

On a side note, I really do prefer Canon's (and others?) way of updating firmware. It involves writing the firmware to a memory card and letting the camera do the work.

7. yakky

yakky TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Totally agree. Installing an app and tethering to a PC is a pain, adds risk and doesn't work with every OS.

• Like Like x 1
  8. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    +1

Nikon Panasonic all go the card route for firmware upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AllanCrowson

AllanCrowson New to TalkEmount

Mar 26, 2014
    I am currently trying out a NEX 6 to see if I'm going to keep it, and one of the first things I did was to update the firmware, on a Mac. I had a similar experience to yours, two or three times in a row. However, each time, I had started the process, and then moved on to other things awaiting the update's completion. When finally I decided to keep the Sony app front and center, so to speak, without going to anything else, it worked just fine. Perhaps it was a coincidence. But I wonder if Sony's software in this case is simply not programmed properly to allow for the possibility that the user, on a Mac, might want to engage in other activities while the update proceeds in the background....

I can't say, really, but it makes me wonder.

In an unrelated note, I have the 16-50 PZ and the SEL 55-210. I'm impressed by the tele zoom, but wonder if the 16-50 is going to last for very long. It makes a rough noise when starting up and shutting down the camera.

10. yakky

yakky TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    My 16-50 sounds pretty crappy starting up and shutting down as well. Almost a faint grinding noise.

11. AllanCrowson

AllanCrowson New to TalkEmount

Mar 26, 2014
    Thanks

I'll take that as comfort, in a weird sort of way. Thanks for the extra data point.

12. yakky

yakky TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Could be worse, like the sigma lenses, they sound like they have marbles inside.

13. Koen_dr

Koen_dr New to TalkEmount

Oct 31, 2013
    Belgium
    Same thing here, first failed when surfing on the web during the update, closed all running programs and did a retry, took it's time but it all went fine...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vincepad

Dec 29, 2013
    I wish that I had the luck that others did in this thread. Mine didn't hang in the process - the update software stopped and told me that it had aborted the attempt to update the firmware. I tried it on three different computers (Mac and PC), with absolutely nothing running. The PC wouldn't even try to update. I'm sure it was some kind of fluke, but that's how it went down for me.

Anyhow, I got mine back from Sony after 10 days with new firmware and a very thorough clean and lube. My camera looked (and functioned) better than new!

I am supremely impressed with Sony's customer service for this and one other issue I had (with my a7).