Breaking out of my shell posting photos.

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by ncor, Nov 17, 2013.

1. ncor

ncor New to TalkEmount

Nov 17, 2013
    Hi guys this is my first post on talkemount. I've been constantly stalking the forums since I got my nex 6 camera. Eventually I fell in love with photography and I had my LBA and ended up getting a rokkor 58 1.4, 50mm md and more junk lenses. I was distraught about my photos because they were out of focus. After numerous shots I wasted, Eventually I read up on stuff and I kinda figured out what I was doing wrong. Working with a razor thin plane of focus felt like an insurmountable wall. All that frustration lead me to break my convictions and I got the 50mm e lens. So here are a few samples of my shots. Hopefully you like em and I'd be glad to get all criticism and tips.

p.s. I suck a framing I think... oh well

shot with the 50mm e-mount
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ncoreyes/10898296123/" title="DSC01568 by RNV.r, on Flickr"> 10898296123_d871287869. "500" height="332" alt="DSC01568"></a>

shot with the minolta rokkor 58mm 1.4 wide open and handheld
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ncoreyes/10898141754/" title="DSC01578 by RNV.r, on Flickr"> 10898141754_9f5264b98a. "500" height="332" alt="DSC01578"></a>

shot with the minolta md 50mm 1.8
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ncoreyes/10471521134/" title="DSC01167 by RNV.r, on Flickr"> 10471521134_9bd97b8274. "500" height="332" alt="DSC01167"></a>

• Like Like x 10
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Welcome to the forum :)

I wouldn't call those Minoltas "junk lenses". Once you get accustomed with the manual focus I'm sure you'll be suprised with the results ;)
    Having said that, I really like your 1st shot :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Nice colors and bokeh you got there! Did you use focus peaking? Because with that, focusing manual lenses is pretty easy with some practice.

As for the framing, yeah, there are a few things here, but that's something your eyes and your brain will learn on it's own the more you shoot. For example, it's usually not a good idea to cut the feet off if you're down so far anyway, and in the third shot she's too far off to the right side according to the rule of thirds. Again, rules are there to be broken, but only if there's a reason to break them.

And oh well, the models look nice too. And yes, agree, these Minolta lenses are good ones.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ncor

ncor New to TalkEmount

Nov 17, 2013
    Oh I wasn't talking about the Minolta lenses. I regard them highly and they're my babies. I got some cheapo cctv lenses they felt like junk, build quality-wise. :D
    thank you for welcoming me in!

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Oh, gotcha ;)

6. ncor

ncor New to TalkEmount

Nov 17, 2013
    thanks ! I love minoltas, I was hoping to get the 28mm 2.8 next! We were actually trespassing and got caught so I asked the security if I could take one last photo. Hence the panic and feet cutting. Focus peaking? I just used the manual focus assist, I'm not sure. I just zoom in while I focus. *edit* thank you for the tips! I'll make sure to read more on framing.

7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Aaand here's a tip everyone here could give you: Turn off the magnification and turn focus peaking on, it's much faster, easier and more accurate this way.

Second: Reading about anything always is good, as long as you don't blindly follow everything. I mean, what could the first chapters of a photo book be? Leading lines, rule of thirds, natural framing and so on. There are many more important things not everybody tells you (like the all-important S-curve for landscapes) and then there will be oh so many situations where you'll have to ignore one - or even all - of these 'rules' to get a fantastic shot.

But just relax and shoot on, have fun! That's most important, everything else comes from alone.

8. ncor

ncor New to TalkEmount

Nov 17, 2013
    Thanks I really appreciate all the tips! Hopefully I can develop my own style of shooting. All I know is that I want honest photos which represent their stories. I have yet to write anything because I lack the time, fml I wish I didn't have work.

9. Jerrold Pelupessy

Jerrold Pelupessy New to TalkEmount

Sep 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    Jerrold Pelupessy
    In love with the first picture. The lights and bokeh are of great support to your model. Good job!

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome.

The first one is quite nice.