1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Break out the cigars...Mama Doe's Fawn made her debut with her at breakfast this morning !

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Aug 22, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thought the Doe looked old enough to be having twins but this is the only one that came up with her. And Mama Doe was on full alert every minute…head snapping this way and that at the least little noise, nervous / protective of her Fawn’s first trip to the “Handout House”.

• Like Like x 3
  2. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Neat photos.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Assuming they stay around a while longer it'll be interesting to see what the mama does now when I open the back door and carry food out to her.

It had gotten to the point after 45-50 days of the same routine, twice a day, that she'd show up 20' outside the kitchen window and star at it...I'd slowly open the back door and ease down the steps and pour the corn out where she was waiting...she'd just step aside a couple body lengths while I poured out the food, then as soon as I turned to walk the 15' back to the porch, she'd step over to the food.

I thought it was great that she didn't have any fear bringing her fawn right up to the spot 20' outside the back door this moring...but today I'd already poured out the corn...on the days that I see her and then take the food out to her, she might move the fawn further away from me the first few times or something...we'll see

4. Schusskabob

Schusskabob TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2014
    Colorado, USA
    Bob
    Great shots...especially #2

• Like Like x 1
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    She's become like a pet...I noticed the deformity of her left front leg early on, assume hit by a car at a younger age or stepped in a hole while running or something...either way she walks / runs pretty awkwardly because a lot of it seems to have healed stiff.
    Then around the first week of July I realized she'd just given birth to a Fawn(s) so I started putting out some supplemental food for her to pick up a couple times a day...small coffee can of shelled corn and whatever apple / peach peelings, older bread we might have on hand, etc...now having her bring the fawn up close like this is very rewarding.