1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

brand nex 6 or used nex 7 ???

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by doinksdoinks, Feb 6, 2013.

1. doinksdoinks

doinksdoinks New to TalkEmount

Jan 27, 2013
    Philippines
    is the nex 7 still a good buy vs nex 6 if the price diffence between the 2 is around $100. the nex 6 is brand new and the nex 7 is already a used unit. i'm not a pro nor an amateur. also i'm not planning to buy additional lenses in the near future maybe in 1 year who knows.

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    7 all the way. Don't shy off the 24mp sensor, unless you're an ultra wide angle user *and* RAW shooter.
    The TriNavi controls make a WORLD of differences in handling the cameras (from someone having owned both).
    The 7's body is also a bit better to hold (though the difference is slight). It's really in usability and flexibility of controls that the 7 is miles ahead.

3. doinksdoinks

Jan 27, 2013
    Philippines
    i actually don't shoot RAW. just purely jpeg so i want a camera that has good jpeg processing engine. i currently use a panasonic lx5 so leaping to an APS-C camera will get me very good results. i have tried the nex f3 and i was amazed by the image quality. what i like about the nex 6 are the new feature that might be helpful in some point like wifi and standard hotshoe (possibility of using a cheap external flash in the future)

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I have a NEX-6, never owned a 7. The 6's standard hotshoe is nice indeed, my wireless flash trigger, Olympus FL-50R and older flashes work without further ado. The wifi option is nice in principle, but useability is very limited IMHO. Remote shutter triggering via my iPhone is clumsy, lots of things to do before you can actually fire the shutter. Quickly bought an IR remote after that experience. Also, for the camera to run "tethered" via your phone it needs to run a program and that program blocks most of the menu items. :mad: And you can upload to facebook and maybe something else I don't care about either, but not to your computer? :confused: Again, to me that's useless. The only real advantage for me is the option to view the image on my phone when the camera is low near the ground in a vertical position, wherein it's difficult to see the display itself, let alone use the viewfinder. Nice for mushroom pics in principle, but I think I'll grab my GH2 instead for those.

5. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    The apps and wifi remind me of video on the D90. Sheer "first in the world" bragging rights, but no little real world usability. I do use quite a bit of flash and indeed had purchased the 6 for the standard hot shoe, but then realized I was using the built in unit an awful lot. Used it on the 7, too. For those times I want to use my SB-600 flash on the 7, I have the little hotshoe adapter. I'm *really* curious to see what upgrade the 7s or whatever they call it will bring ??

6. doinksdoinks

Jan 27, 2013
    Philippines
    did you keep both nex 7 and nex 6?

7. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I have both -- I think you would like the Nex-6 better.

If you don't need the pixels, you're not a raw shooter, you're happy with the included zoom, and you won't miss the micophone jack -- I think the 6 is for you. It's my carry-every-day camera and it's great.

8. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I have sold both but regret my 7 badly and will be getting another unit shortly.

9. doinksdoinks

Jan 27, 2013
    Philippines
    i was really inclined at buying the nex 6. but saw a recent item, nex 7 used with a listng price of $987. currently here in my country, the nex 6 is being sold at around $853. a brand new nex 7 is still priced at $1390.

10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    If it changes you decision at all. If you are in the US, Amazon sells the NEX 7 kit "like new" for $842. It's technically used but when Amazon says "like new" they mean it. That makes it $50 cheaper than a new NEX 6 kit. Given that, I'd take the 7 over the 6. I do like the apps functionality of the 6 though. I don't think it's a gimmick. There are already some useful apps. There will probably be more to come. I do wish Sony would open up the apps to 3rd party developers. Somehow though, I don't think they will.

11. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    Just a note - the NEX-7's 24mp sensor is very dense. Sure you have 24mp to work with, but many modern lenses and most if not all vintage lenses cannot provide that kind of resolution to a crop sensor. 24MP is great for a FF sensor. For a Crop sensor you'd be looking at something 14-18MP to keep a good ratio of pixel density, ISO performance, and usable resolution.

Shooting in JPEG, you'll probably not see anything you'd notice due to the image correction, but switch over to RAW and not only will you be not utilizing the full 24mp capabilities of the sensor, but you'll have to contend with massively more noise than the 16mp unit in the NEX-6.

Just my 2c.

12. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Yep, I shoot JPEG and had very good results with quality legacy lenses. The 18-55 kit lens will deliver crud on that 24 mp...

13. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    I think people have found that when they downsample the 24MP NEX 7 images to match the 16MP of the NEX 6, the noise characteristics are similar. Thus with the NEX 7 you can have high resolution, 24MP, when you can take advantage of it and low noise, 16MP, when you can't.

14. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    To be honest I was honestly put off by the "noisy" reputation of the 7's chip, but in real life it proved not any noisier than the 6 at similar ISO settings.

15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Both are very nice, you just have to be able to justify the extra cost of the 7.

More MP is great, but less forgiving.