Brand new NEX user. . .

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by mingus2112, Jul 9, 2014.

1. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    75+ posts so I guess I should probably introduce myself! I've been "into" photography for decades but, until recently, barely got my toes wet with digital. I've always been in the "buy last years gear and save a fortune" camp. With film bodies, that was the way to go. I wasn't losing quality by buying last years model when this year's model came out. Film was film and the only difference in bodies (for the most part. . .and assuming they were working properly) were features. I've had several film bodies over the years (and still have them). Started on a Minolta Maxxum 3000i in around 1992 or so, which was pretty much a point and shoot SLR. I often used my mother's Maxxum 7000 and/or SRT-101 as well (I have them now) when I went on vacation, etc. When I got older, I started buying some Maxxum bodies, used. Bought the 7000i and 700si that way. One day a good friend who owed me some cash gave me a Minolta X-700 and I was hooked on manual focus. At the time (late '90s / early 2000s), manual focus lenses could be had for peanuts. I built up a Rokkor collection to use with the X-700 and added an XE-7 and XD-11. Last year, before my son was born, my mother's friend gave me several boxes of Minolta manual focus gear. It was all her gear from her days of travel in the 60s/70s with my mother. It included more lenses (ack!), an SRT-101 and SRT-202.

Around the time I got the SRT-101 and SRT-202 we (my wife and I) finally agreed to get a "good" camera. As I said above, i've always been skeptical about digital bodies and starting a "system." Until recently, "last year's" camera bodies were lacking in image quality compared to today's. That's not to say that there haven't been some great digital bodies. There have. The problem is that the ones I wanted, even used, weren't cheap. I felt like the ones that were affordable to me would only give me a short amount of time before I wanted to "upgrade." I feel like in the past five years or so, digital has finally come to a place where quality, while certainly still rising, has settled at a good baseline. Brand new digital bodies are affordable AND have great image quality! So, long story short, I settled on the Canon 60D.

Fast forward to a few months ago and I was planning my gear list for a family vacation we hope to take this summer or fall. I wanted to bring the Canon as well as a film body. I was really concerned about film going through multiple museum metal detectors. I joined some facebook groups and stumbled on the Minolta Collectors group who seemed to be talking a lot about mounting their lenses on Sony NEX cameras! Did some more research and ended up with the NEX 3N and a Fotodiox MD-NEX adapter. What a great ride it's been! Stumbled on the talkemount forum and, well, you know the story since then! I'm now using a NEX-6 and sold the 3N to a friend. I really couldn't get used to the idea of not using a viewfinder.

It's good to be here!
    • Like Like x 10
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Happy belated welcome, James. It's always interesting to read about the circuitous routes we took to get here. Someone should collect them all into a book someday! ;)
  3. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Even if you have 75+ posts, Welcome to the NEX family! HA HA
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cool story, it was nice to read - welcome again :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    Thanks! In a way, I feel like i'm "cheating" on my film bodies by switching my focus to the NEX. In the end, I guess it comes down to the fact that I really just wanted to use those lenses. I had a cheap adapter for my Maxxum cameras (with glass) to use the manual focus lenses, but it was never anything more inspiring than what I was getting with my Sigma zooms. Really liking the instant feedback having a digital body to use them on and hope to keep going!

6. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
  7. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    From a fellow nex 6 user... Welcome, you'll be having a ton of fun with that cam
  8. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    Thanks! I already am!
  9. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon

Your post makes me realize that I should do the same and introduce myself too ;-)
    • Like Like x 1