Brand new Nex 5r "Camera error Turn off and back on"

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by runthetableandy, Oct 6, 2013.

1. runthetableandy

runthetableandy New to TalkEmount

Oct 4, 2013
    So I just bought a brand new Nex 5r off Amazon and almost every time I turn it on, after I take the first pic it gives me the error screen saying turn the camera off and back on. But after that I can take a bunch of pictures and it won't give the error. Is anyone else's camera doing this or should I be sending this camera back for another one?
    Thanks Andy

2. dmc

dmc New to TalkEmount

Jun 29, 2013
    I have not experienced this. Been using my 5r since May 2013. Sorry.

3. bopfan

bopfan TalkEmount Regular

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    Kinda weird. My 5r also came from Amazon. I've had it for a couple weeks at the most. no problems. have you tried removing the battery, going to the fridge, have a soda pop, walk the dog, come back, put the battery back in and see if you have the same problem? how about updating the firmware?

4. runthetableandy

Oct 4, 2013
    I do need to update the firmware, I'll see if that does anything.

5. Arno

Arno New to TalkEmount

Oct 1, 2013
    Was just about to recommend the firmware

Got he same camera, and no problems what so ever.. That said, camera is only 3 weeks old, so still getting use to it

Let us know if the firmware update works for you

6. runthetableandy

Oct 4, 2013
    Well I downloaded the firmware for windows 8 computer and turned the camera on and hooked it up via USB and the firmware update program wouldn't recognize the camera. The computer however picked up on the camera fine, I even dragged some pictures over to my desktop from the camera. So my windows 8 laptop didn't work so figured I'd try my windows 7 desktop, and it still didn't recognize the camera on the firmware update program. Since no one else is getting the turn camera off and back on error I'm just gonna send it back for another camera. Thanks for your help.
    Andy

7. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    This may be a stupid question but did you set the correct USB connection mode on camera for firmware upgrade ? Sounds like your camera is connecting as an external drive instead.

Also, did you try it with different SD cards ? The original issue you described may be a card write problem. Just something to check...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

8. runthetableandy

Oct 4, 2013
    Hey Amamba, yea I had the cameras USB connection set to mass storage as per the instructions on the firmware update program. I don't think I've tried a different SD card though, just been using the brand new SDHC class 10 card I bought at the same time I bought the camera. I'll try another card and see if that works.
    Andy

9. runthetableandy

Oct 4, 2013
    Different SD cards didn't fix it, also the card that was in the NEX 5 worked fine in my other cameras.