Bracketing and Shutter Preferred mode must use Auto-ISO

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dbmiller, May 5, 2014.

1. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I presume this isn't model specific, so I'll start a new thread for this one.

I was checking out the bracketing on the A6000, and noticed an odd statement in the Help Guide as to how it works...

As I read this, I thought, "Wait... What happens if I'm in Shutter Preferred mode and not Auto-ISO?". Sure enough the camera ends up taking 3 (or 5) identical exposures, and does not do any compensation on each image. Worse yet, the images display +0,0, -X, +X in the images, yet they are identical exposures.

The camera should tell you it can't do the bracketing!

Easy enough workaround - Use Auto-ISO, which might not be desirable. But since changing the aperture definitely changes the look of the images, you have no choice but to use ISO to drive the bracketing.

This may be obvious to some, but as someone who hasn't done a lot of bracketed shots before, this was a bit confusing.
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Stuff like this almost makes me think the Sony software engineers use a random stupidity generator to write code.
  3. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Or a bad translator :)

Sent from my LG-E440 using TalkEmount mobile app
  4. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Ha ha. I've always said AI really stands for Artificial Ignorance.

I think the problem is the software designers don't spend enough time USING the user interface of their creations in the wild. Design on paper, have a team code, and test against specs ... but not enough use in real world situations/refine design cycles.
  5. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Don't forget we are talking about MANUAL EXPOSURE mode. If Auto ISO set, getting a computer chosen exposure is sort of a bonus (and one I like), but IMO odd considering the name of the mode. I agree the interaction with bracketing wasn't thought out / implemented approriately.
  6. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    I'm pretty sure the Sony engineer in charge of bracketing is an idiot.
  7. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK