1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Books!!!!! Give me more!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by alaios, Feb 6, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I am finishing the book of Davids Busch for my nex-f3.

I think I would like to have a small extension to what I read into two directions.

a. Basic understanding of photography, apperture , shutter speed and iso selection (a book that includes images to explain those would be great). If possible that should include a bit of discussion for the small compact cameras, or the ideas to be also usable there (I guess this is how is gonna be any decent book)

b. a bit of selecting portraits that have more "information" or making the right portraits. As this is a bit subjective topic feel free to suggest and fight :D

Have a nice day

Regards
    Alex

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
  3. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
  4. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
  5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    A book I really like to advise to anybody interested in photography is the National Geographic Guide (yellow covered book). It's old and was initially made for film photography, but all the basic principles still apply, and I'm sure they might have updated it with digital stuff now.

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
  7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    John Hedgecoe did write quite many good books about photography too. Some of them were even translated to Finnish so I suppose that his books are translated into many languages. Public libraries are best place to see what is available.

8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi regarding the book you are suggesting, on the amazon I have found that there are more books on the same logic, like "Understanding shutter speed". Do you think that the book you are suggesting is a good starting point? For me it looks like that it might focusing only on the apperture where I need to understand first a bit of the fundamentals of the photography.

Also is that book useful on small portable cameras?
    Regards
    Alex

9. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    The one in the link that you quoted does also talk about shutter speeds. You may want to look at Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography as it covers everything rather than just one aspect. I love his books and whole heartedly recommend them but there are other great books out there as well. So that's where I'd start, a basic photography book then start check some stuff out that goes into great detail on specific topics. Also, youtube can be a goldmine of information as well.

10. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Bryan petersons understanding exposure is the modern essential primer

11. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Yeah, I just wish I could find my copy.