1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bobcats are loose.

Discussion in 'Nature' started by davect01, Dec 12, 2011.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Caught this guy just hanging out while I had the 70-150mm Vivitar on my NEX-3 at about 70 yards.

I had a hard time getting a good image. He was sitting in the shade, while the background was sunny, so I tried the HDR option.

HDR
    DSC01526%252Bw.

DSC01532%252Bw.

Regular
    DSC01526+%25282%2529%252Bw.

DSC01532+%25282%2529%252Bw.

The HDR is a bit clearer, but looks processed. I was going to try a different mode, but then he wandered off into the grass.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Seemed to work out pretty well. :)

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    trickey

Ya it was a bit tricky with the shade and the coloring of the bobcat itself being meant to hide it.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I agree, it's amazing the difference HDR can do no matter how subtle, specially with the first photo.

5. jfazer

jfazer TalkEmount Regular

Dec 1, 2011
    Spain
    +1... Definitely it worked! Nice shots...

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Thanks guys. My only issue with the HDR is that they look a bit processed.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Try to up your saturation and/or contrast a notch, I find that it helps a bit.

8. bbob

bbob TalkEmount Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    wet coast canada
    dave:

I was wondering if you had tried DRO mode instead of HDR. I've been meaning to try it but haven't found a suitable subject.

bob

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    actually

Actually the other ones were DRO's, +1

I usually keep this on, at it's lowest setting.

10. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    It's going to be interesting when I get my "7" as I enjoy post processing
    almost more than the act of taking the photos. Learning what I can do
    "in camera" with so many choices will be a learning experience.

My usual routine is to shoot slightly under so I don't blow highlights and
    then use "levels" to bring up the brightness and such in Photoshop.

11. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    These are great shots, whether or HDR mode helps to give more clarity in low light and are really great finally..

This photo was taken while route to work, around 7 A.M. and was something dark, so l use the HDR and it turned out very clear

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/freddy_007/6827443233/" title="Shelby Mustang 64 by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr"> 6827443233_6f387dd928_b. "1000" height="525" alt="Shelby Mustang 64"></a>

HDR,Creek in Wolfes Pond Park

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/freddy_007/6853925849/" title="HDR,Creek in Wolfes Pond Park Creek in Wolfes Pond Park by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr">"1000" height="562" alt="HDR,Creek in Wolfes Pond Park Creek in Wolfes Pond Park "></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/freddy_007/6854222853/" title="DSC01254 by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr"> 6854222853_ce8005bbf1_b. "753" height="1000" alt="DSC01254"></a>

12. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Photography has always been getting results through a series of processes. Placing a filter or polariser (or even a lens hood) in front of the lens is a process. Back in the film days, what's being done in the darkrooms (under or over developing films, burning or dodging enlarger projections over paper) or hue/sat correction in colour labs - is all processing. There used to be people employed in lab departments whose job is to 'touch-up' flaws in final print enlargements with paint and brush. No one cried foul. These days computers have replaced much in that process chain... I have no problems with that.

Hodad, your 'usual routine' of shooting slightly-under reminds me of the great B&W masters, who expose their films bearing in mind what would give them the best latitude in the darkroom in order to render the 'perfect print.'

I applaud the fact that you spotted the camouflaged animal in the first place, Davect. The HDR or the Regular is fine, as long as that's what you want us to see. You being the artist have every right to decide which one is best.

Beautiful animal, steady hands on telephoto... great shot. I'm enriched because you shared your Bobcat experience! :)

13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Thanks for the comments. I just about stumbled into him and luckily had the camera.